Midge

trizkid

Just looking at tightline.biz and he said "Very few bugs on the cold days, but the possibility of some good hatches on the warm sunny days. The primary insect in the winter is the midge. Look for them in and around areas where the sun is shining on the water and along the banks"....anyone have any idea on water color these "midges" may be this time of year?.

TrIzzout

I dont worry about it much.....seems that risers will eat a caddis most of the time......bout a size 18 this time of year...grayish brown mostly.......A caddis will usually turn the trick even during a "midge" or "blue winged olive" hatch...if not...break out some small stuff...little thread midge style stuff, CDC may & midge patterns in the 22-26 range......and put em behind a dry caddis. I'm expecting lots of dinks from a recent stocking...That should have things mixed up a bit. Resident fish & FNG's sorting out the pecking order..so who knows what is in store. Think I'll bring my bait caster and a 7" long brown trout colored Rapala.

• Members

Yeah, Gavin I do like the midge under the Caddis. Usually the the color of the dropper doesn't really matter all that much.Brown, black, red,seems to work well. My brother and I have had some of our best Winter Current days on that exact setup.

Just looking at tightline.biz and he said "Very few bugs on the cold days, but the possibility of some good hatches on the warm sunny days. The primary insect in the winter is the midge. Look for them in and around areas where the sun is shining on the water and along the banks"....anyone have any idea on water color these "midges" may be this time of year?.

I fished last year on New Years day. By afternoon, the sun was bright and I absolutely slew them on a size 18 Griffith's Gnat. The air temperature, by the way, was 15 degrees.

Scott

The griffiths gnat is usually the ticket on midge hatches on the current from my experience. That being said I carry a few midge soft hackles, like a Syl's midge I believe. Honestly though, I usually use this in Arkansas on the tailwaters more then the current. I agree with Gavin though, if they are eating dries it is usually Caddis at the current, rarely do I see them sipping midge dries exclusively. The exception to this also is the tricos in the summer.

I'm expecting lots of dinks from a recent stocking...That should have things mixed up a bit. Resident fish & FNG's sorting out the pecking order..so who knows what is in store. Think I'll bring my bait caster and a 7" long brown trout colored Rapala.

They did it early this year? That usually does not occur till closer to spring time.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson