St Louis Area Bassin

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone knew of any above average bass fishing waters in or near st Louis mo. I fish all the time and have been to many ponds and lakes in my area. Sure I catch fish but a lot of times the bass are unhealthy or the fishing is unusually slow because of all the pressure. Any suggestions?

That's tough because there are no secrets, no hidden gems and no forgotten about hot spots in the public domain. Behind a locked gate is about your only hope. If I was younger or much older I would be sneaking in golf courses and cemeteries.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

It's a shame more golf courses don't allow fishing in their lakes after hours. There is one in St. Peters that allows fishing from certain banks away from the fairways and I've heard stories of 6-8lbs bass being pulled from it. I haven't had much luck out there though.

I also used to fish a ton in Des Peres park and had a lot of luck esp last summer, but it gets clogged with moss in the late summer and becomes rather unfishable...

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

I fish Spanish Lake in North County with the canoe. It is not a wilderness experience but there are fish in there. North/Sunfish Lakes, just next door, do offer a peaceful experience but I cannot catch anything there.

Thanks for the advice. Spanish lake is a little far away but sounds good. I'm also gonna check out the one in des Peres. Do you guys mean the one by the baseball fields in des Peres park or am I thinking of a different pond?

Des Peres park is on the corner of Manchester and Ballas behind St. Paul's church. There are ball fields there but the pond is closer to the soccer fields.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I pulled a 3lb largemouth out of Spanish Lake Pond a few weeks ago. About a 20 min drive but its a nice quiet pond in the morning. Does anyone fish in the St. Louis Urban Fishing Project Lakes like forest park or the boat house? I would like to go check them out and I hear they will be stocked with trout soon.

The Boathouse Lake in Carondelet has bass, but mostly catfish and carp along with some bait robbing bluegill. I used to fish that lake all the time as a kid. The city has really improved the lake tremendously since then. I don't know the trout stocking schedule, but Boathouse does get trout, but it is in no way a clear lake. Just keep that in mind when deciding on what to use.

DC

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)

• 4 weeks later...

I fish a 17 acre private lake in Overland, MO. Biggest bass I've caught was 10lbs 2oz. I'll take you out there next spring if you want considering most of my friends aren't serious into fishing or hunting.