Bank Fishing Walleyes

Bitethis

They have been gigging walleye in Bull Shoals for years. Bry is right on that for sure. I can remember speaking to people when I wrote the article saying there grand fathers were big giggers years ago.

Bill if our grandfathers were gigging walleyes, where did those fish come from if they are such poor spawners ? There wasn't any stocking back in those days.We've been through this before,and I will always believe there is a viable spawn and hatch survival from walleyes,just from what I seen as a young boy and knowing the locals that use to catch JACKS on a regular basis.

Look up the fishing regulations for 1915 through 1930s,it is a miracle that any fish survived from giggers,grabbers and nets,but they did and the walleyes did too.

Giggers were the reason that alot of walleyes were caught at the Pothole this winter not because they harvested them but because they give the locals word that there were hundreds of them at the Pothole in less than 3 feet of water.

Giggers,grabbers and spear fishing always get a bad rap,but if the real TRUTH was known,its the regular pole and line fishermen who do the most damage as far as poaching.

Does anyone think the 21 lb state record for walleye will ever be broke? Me, NO!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A gal I work with and her family love to dive and spearfish. I've spent a lot of time talking to her about it. Their legal limit is 1/2 that of rod and reel anglers. They have to work to get close enough for the shot and deal with visibility limitations and COLD water.

They pretty much quit once the water gets too cold and as the thermocline starts to break up the walleye get too difficult to find.

They usually get a fish or two, but it does require a significant amount of time and money to do well.

It isn't as easy as we might think it would be.

I'd love to dive and observe fish to help my rod and reel fishing, but I don't anticipate speargun hunting to replace my rod and reel fishing.

Are you telling us that spear fishing for game fish is legal in arkansas?

Look up the fishing regulations for 1915 through 1930s,it is a miracle that any fish survived from giggers,grabbers and nets,but they did and the walleyes did too.

The biggest difference is the population and the fact that people fished local. People from KC and STL didn't run to the Ozarks for a weekend.

Giggers,grabbers and spear fishing always get a bad rap,but if the real TRUTH was known,its the regular pole and line fishermen who do the most damage as far as poaching.

I've known my share and I would disagree. I've found a lot more giggers will tell you they get away with a lot then bank or boat fishermen do. Much of it is do to opportunity, they fish at night on remote parts of the river and eat the evidence on the river bank. When they have 6 or 8 giggers and another 15-20 family members waiting for a fish fry, they aren't coming in without enough fish. It's no different then the upper Taney and the park fishermen having to live with the reputation created by a few, the giggers who toe the line have to put up with the bad ones and the reputation they create.

The MDC has become overly sensitive to any criticism by groups. I suspect the sale tax is behind much of it. One reason giggers have more success is in the equipment, which has outrun the sports self imposed restrictions. While electronics on a bass boat can show you the fish, it doesn't show you exactly what they are or lead them to bite, but a set of sodium stadium lights on the front of a jon boat does show you what where and even at a depth the old giggers would have never dreamed.

If the MDC would dial the sport back to it's origins most of the violations would cease.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Yes i think it will be broke and probably from tablerock James or White River Arms

I'll have to agree with you F & F.....I don't know about the James River Arm, but a true monster could come anywhere from Baxter clear on up to Houseman. I hear of 13's and 14's every year....I hope it's me, RPS, Bullit, or Powerdive that gets it......LOL....Or Hunter91........OK, my fevers up.......Gotta go start sorting tackle.

why would bass be the only exemption? I guess my view on this subject is if people could be more conservation minded! as far as the spearfishing goes ,I think with most of them, it is more about the diving rather than the harvest, and probably don't hurt the #s much .as far as giggergs, if they are taking walleye ( or any game fish ) they need to be caught, and I hope the fines are stiff! I would just like to see more and more fisherman release the big pre -spawn females, whatever the species. (especially walleyes ! ) thanks.

no kidding, i would let them shoot the bass first and save the good fish.

Squeaky wheel syndrome. Bass Clubs get pretty vocal about spearfishing bass.

Hey Jeff, There are MANY really wonderful things about the Ozarks, but gigging isn't one of them AND it ain't going away anytime soon.

Maybe in 40-60 years.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

Squeaky wheel syndrome. Bass Clubs get pretty vocal about spearfishing bass.

Hey Jeff, There are MANY really wonderful things about the Ozarks, but gigging isn't one of them AND it ain't going away anytime soon.

Maybe in 40-60 years.

I would say you are correct on both comments.