Trout fishing in the U.K.

Met a great couple in Puerto Vallarta last year who live in England west of Manchester to the east close to the North Sea. Gonna do all kinds of stuff around there but they wanna take us Trout fishing. We're going in mid August for 10 days.

Would like to know if anyone on here has ever fished over there. I know there was a time when the fishing in England, Wales, or Scotland were practically inaccessable unless you were a member of a club.

Any body been?

HUMAN RELATIONS MANAGER @ OZARK FISHING EXPEDITIONS

I've not been there, but our son went to university in Wales, so I did a bit of studying on the subject.

My understanding is that most, if not all, trout fishing in the UK is private. You would need to buy a rod license for a particular stretch of water or buy a pass for one of the lakes/reservoirs.  Having said that, some hotels own the rights to fish and offer them to guests.  I also did read about some of the lakes up north being free...but all this is somewhat dated.  My understanding is that fishing for seatrout in the salt is free...if you can get access to the beach.  

I would contact Davy Wotton he still has many contacts there.

“If a cluttered desk is a sign, of a cluttered mind, of what then, is an empty desk a sign?”- Albert Einstein

I'm heading to Scotland on the 25th for 10 days of fishing.  I'm only targeting trout and grayling.  NO SALMON.  I'll report back when I return.

There are two types of people. Those who dream dreams and wish, then there are the do'ers. I am a do'er!

4 hours ago, motroutbum said:

I'm heading to Scotland on the 25th for 10 days of fishing.  I'm only targeting trout and grayling.  NO SALMON.  I'll report back when I return.

Are you fishing with friends who live there or doing this on your own? Looking forward to your report and I'll give one as well (late aug. or early sept. for me).

I spent 6 months there just outside Newcastle about 20 years ago.  There are some nice streams, but normally you have to pay a rod fee and reserve a spot to fish a particular beat.  Reservoirs can be easier to deal with.  That said, it sounds like you are visiting people who I would assume are taking care of organizing the outing, so I would just sit back and enjoy.  There are  wonderful things about the UK: public transportation, pubs, healthcare. the people, etc...I love it.  I just wished there was more publicly accessible rivers when I was there.

www.elevenpointflyfishing.com

www.elevenpointcottages.com

(417)270-2497

18 hours ago, KCRIVERRAT said:

Are you fishing with friends who live there or doing this on your own? Looking forward to your report and I'll give one as well (late aug. or early sept. for me).

I am fishing with friends.  Most of whom are on the Scottish National Fly Fishing Team.  I have quite the itinerary while I'm there; The Clyde, The Don, The Tummel, Loch Leven, and a fair number of other rivers and lakes haven't been told about yet. I helped them quite a bit on their trip here last fall.

There are two types of people. Those who dream dreams and wish, then there are the do'ers. I am a do'er!

2 hours ago, Brian Sloss said:

I spent 6 months there just outside Newcastle about 20 years ago.  There are some nice streams, but normally you have to pay a rod fee and reserve a spot to fish a particular beat.  Reservoirs can be easier to deal with.  That said, it sounds like you are visiting people who I would assume are taking care of organizing the outing, so I would just sit back and enjoy.  There are  wonderful things about the UK: public transportation, pubs, healthcare. the people, etc...I love it.  I just wished there was more publicly accessible rivers when I was there.

Thanks Brian. You're right, our friends know the deal. Gonna be a fun trip. Wife and I plan on coming down again soon to stay at one of your places in Alton. It's been about 4 years.

51 minutes ago, motroutbum said:

I am fishing with friends.  Most of whom are on the Scottish National Fly Fishing Team.  I have quite the itinerary while I'm there; The Clyde, The Don, The Tummel, Loch Leven, and a fair number of other rivers and lakes haven't been told about yet. I helped them quite a bit on their trip here last fall.

Your trip sounds like it's gonna be epic! Looking forward to hearing about it.