Specklebellies at half time

Terrierman

8 hours ago, Terrierman said:

North wind/cool front like this one coming through usually does.  Especially early like this.  Later on you just never know.  Late birds move when it gets cold enough to freeze them out of a place to sit.  Or so it seems. Early teal have already moved.  They were all over the White a few weeks back.  Don't be fooled though, they can show up anytime and anywhere.

Saw a flock of about 20 teal on Table Rock yesterday.  Didn't hear any high altitude cackling however.

10 hours ago, Gavin said:

Hunting Shanks Sunday. Scheduled a meeting in Moscow Mills and Troy this Am. Drove through Shanks midday but did not see a single duck or goose. Some plume birds.  No cover out there at all, gotta toss more grass on my A-frame. Think 80% of the corn fields are still standing. Sheet Water and Standing crops everywhere between STC and Hannibal.

The low areas around Dardenne Creek are empty yesterday.  They were covered in birds last week.  Lake St Louis is the same way.  Not a bird in sight when last week they were rafts of them all over it.  The clubs (Busch Family) north of St Peters were pumping water over the weekend but not a bird to be seen. 

7 hours ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

The low areas around Dardenne Creek are empty yesterday.  They were covered in birds last week.  Lake St Louis is the same way.  Not a bird in sight when last week they were rafts of them all over it.  The clubs (Busch Family) north of St Peters were pumping water over the weekend but not a bird to be seen. 

Weather this week may change that in Gavin's favor.  I'm rooting for him to see some fresh puddle ducks.

Had a big flock of specks above me on Monday, couple of V's, all said and done was probably close to 200 of them flying over the KC area. Never even seen them out hunting but dang do I want to kill a few.

Birds were moving yesterday, heard some high flying geese in the pre-dawn darkness as I was out walking my dog.  Fished over on Beaver for a few hours, saw several high flying flocks of geese, some teal, what I believe were buffleheads, but too far away to get a good ID, and several flocks of larger ducks, couldn't tell exactly what they were.  Anyway it was an unusually high number of water fowl compared to what I usually see on that lake.

Monarchs were flying by too, everything was on the move, guess they are clearing out ahead of the front coming in.