The flys that you are forever tying ?

9 hours ago, Foghorn said:

So, several years ago, we are staying at RRResort in one of their new cabins for the trout season opener. Had a fine meal and we were sitting around the big table when one of the older Dad's in the group gets out his newest fly boxes. He doesn't tie but usually pays for the necessary materials for his nephew to tie for him. As he was showing off all of his latest additions to his fly box, I asked him what this one particular pattern was. His response was"that's the egg pattern that Susie catches all those fish on". And I replied "no it's not, it's the wrong color." I had a UV light for curing some Loon products and showed him the difference in the old material and the new UV yarn. His nephew was trying to get me to drop the conversation but it just wasn't going to happen. Next thing, Danny gets out his box of newly tied scuds. Again I asked "what are those scuds". He replied" those are those awesome possum scud patterns that you've been tying". Here we go again as I replied that's not the color we've been catching them on. Either color of those patters would've caught fish. Now the nephew is scrambling to come up with the excuses for tying a bunch of flies in the wrong colors. We ended up walking thru the woods about 100 yards to Tim's so I could help Danny get the "right " colors. He bought several packages of each material and a new fly box.  He also told the nephew to fill the new box with flies. Sometimes the things we don't tie end up biting one in the fanny.     

So you are fond of the UV stuff?  Or you're not?

I haven't formed an opinion on it yet, but UV Ice Dub sure does seem to possess some magic.  

The UV stuff is pretty neat. You need to see how it looks under UV light...A $10 UV flashlight will do the trick. I hardly tie anymore...but the really ate up retired engineer type guys love that stuff. They take fine sharpies and write down the dubbing colors, z midge embroidery yarn colors in their fly boxes.  When they get back they will replace anything they lost. Most of mine, live assorted in little clear chewing tobacco style boxes...Grab one, or two that look different and fish them. Usually works.

11 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

So you are fond of the UV stuff?  Or you're not?

I haven't formed an opinion on it yet, but UV Ice Dub sure does seem to possess some magic.  

I really do like he UV Ice Dub-even that weird gray that Laker and Corky used to put on a seminar at  outlet 2 on Taneycomo years ago. The glo bug yarn I do like better in the original colors. We were diving home from a fishing trip out West and stopped at the Sydney, Ne. Cabelas. Wife came out of the "Bargain Cave" with 5 bags of the original egg yarn in her favorite color. Asked why so many and she figured it was on closeout for a reason and 1/2 price. The UV has more of a shine to it under the light. It seems to work better but that may be because we use it more when fishing egg patterns.