Mower deck

Trying to get the mower ready today...greased the spindles...but when I was putting it back together...I noticed the bracket that connects the deck is rusted pretty bad.

is it weldable?  

It’s a 10 year old John Deere...cost to replace the deck wouldn’t make sense.

bummer if I need to start shopping for a new one...otherwise mower in good shape.  

4A8ABDFB-6121-4D0F-9DCC-73AA93460DA9.jpeg

1A1D4795-F301-487B-A4CA-33B5A025C272.jpeg

Yes it is weldable.  Will need to cleaned well to clean steel and welded by someone who knows what they are doing.  After its welded coat it with a rust preventive coating.  Should be able to get a few more years out of it, unless the metals is thin and in bad shape.

It's a piece of steel cut to fit that will fill the angle between the deck and the bracket welded to both.  Another thought is a piece of angle iron welded to the deck and the bracket.  Any welding shop will be able to help you out.

Yeah, I've fixed worse.

I'd lay a piece of angle along the break for reinforcement.

From what I've seen, the problem is not as much from rust as it is from metal fatigue around the weld. 

If it gets to be a recurring problem, a new deck assembly is probably $700 or so. Not cheap but mowers aren't either, and all the other wear parts add up fast.

-Austin