I DON’T WANNA FISH LIKE THAT.

Bill Babler

4 minutes ago, Alex Heitman said:

This is flawed......"Bringing bass to the surface from deeper water results in a rapid expansion of the bladder because of reduced water pressure – a condition called “barotrauma.” 

Rapid expansion of the bladder would only ingest WATER if anything.   Until the fish is removed from the water.     Otherwise where are the air/gases coming from ?

• Members

Think of it like blowing up ballons with heium. The helium is compressed in the tank. You put the balloon on, turn the handle and release some pressure. The small amount of compressed heium comes out and expands in the balloon. Less pressure equals more volume.

6 minutes ago, Toby Estes said:

Think of it like blowing up ballons with heium. The helium is compressed in the tank. You put the balloon on, turn the handle and release some pressure. The small amount of compressed heium comes out and expands in the balloon. Less pressure equals more volume.

Apples & oranges.    Take the helium filled balloon and make it get bigger or smaller by submerging it.    Ain't gonna happen.  

Displacement is not going to change. 

• Members
11 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Apples & oranges.    Take the helium filled balloon and make it get bigger or smaller by submerging it.    Ain't gonna happen.  

Displacement is not going to change. 

You don’t think gases can expand based on pressure?

10 minutes ago, Toby Estes said:

You don’t think gases can expand based on pressure?

They can be compressed, so certainly they can expand.....But have you ever seen a fish blowed up like a dead roadkill possum in July, and still be considered ALIVE ?

Neither has anything to do with atmospheric pressure.  Temperature=yes. And as a result of decomposition= yes.   But we are talking about fish that are still alive. 

• Members

We are talking about small amounts of gases expanding in a fish. When you fizz one only a small amount comes out. The mortality rate for fizzed fish is actually higher than most people think also. You catch a fish out of 15 ft of water- no problem. You catch one out of 50 ft-you got a floater. What is the difference between 15 ft and 50ft? Temperature and pressure. One of these has to cause the bladder to expand. Agree?

28 minutes ago, Toby Estes said:

We are talking about small amounts of gases expanding in a fish. When you fizz one only a small amount comes out. The mortality rate for fizzed fish is actually higher than most people think also. You catch a fish out of 15 ft of water- no problem. You catch one out of 50 ft-you got a floater. What is the difference between 15 ft and 50ft? Temperature and pressure. One of these has to cause the bladder to expand. Agree?

Well I wish I could agree....just for the sake of being agreeable.    But me agreeing wouldn't mean that I ACTUALLY BELIEVE IT TO BE TRUE.   

This is more complicated than it should be.....and I'm not even high or anything.  

Maybe I should get genuinely stoned, like a real biologist, and then it might all make sense. (Word dude, expanding trapped gases....Fer'Sure!) 

Now, I could see where expansion of the bladder might make it difficult for the fish to immediately return to 50ft.   But I cannot see where it would make the fish not even be able to keep itself upright in shallower water.