Fish Finder Training – Screenshots & Interpretations

J-doc or any else that might know?  I have Lowrance Hook5, little over a year old and starting having issues with reading shallow depths (single digit when I know I'm in over 15 plus fow) after I come off plane.  Tried shutting down and doing a restart, which takes for ever but it seems like the only thing that works is to unplug the power cord, plug it back it in and restart.  Doesnt do it all the time but seems to he occurring more frequently.  Any thoughts on what might be causing it and suggestions on fixing it other than buying a new one?

I am not familiar with that particular model, but I have run Lowrances for many years.  Do you have the latest software version?  If not then down load it.  It may fix your problem.   If that doesn't work you can do a soft reset.  If a soft reset doesn't work you can back up your data and do a hard reset.  Another option is to try a different transducer.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I have a helix mega si+ so the bottom image there is mega down imaging+ chirp.   I have seen some amazing structure images,  rocks and such,  but then I came across this which I assumed was weeds just by the hard return in the center of it and the proximity to the bottom,  but then the down imaging is supposed to help me nail down what exactly it is but instead it only confused me.   It looks to me like a bunch of little bait fish and the sonar says to me it could be either or.  

Why can't I see detailed weed images on my down imaging if it is in fact weeds? 

20190825_161513.jpg

• Members

I posted a similar image up there and the conclusion was its bait fish.  Now I took this picture and I'm wondering if it's something wrong with how my transducer is mounted or this just typically how weeds may look on mega down imaging.  I am expecting fully fleshed images of weeds but here I am just seeing what looks like a big smear across the screen with less definable bait fish "dots".  Is this weeds,  or something else? 

20190903_134619.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 7/11/2013 at 12:45 PM, nathanhooper said:

I was just thinking more along the lines of taking the data from the sonar(2d, SI, and DI, and doing some programing, and then out comes a 3d representation. Not so much a map to download, but realtime data that would also show fish. The technology is there. I know it is. Not sure why its not being developed more finely than it is. It really is just like a camera, then taking those photo's and putting them together to make a virtual 3d picture. My wife has this app that she can take panoramic photos with by simply taking a photo, moving a little to the right, up, down, or left and taking another photo. The app takes the "image" looks it over and puts it together. There is some times that it gets the picture a little off, but what can you say for a cheap app.

Now take that, add some real tech geeks, and start making some true fish finders.

Keep us up to date if you hear anymore on that map.

Got sucked into some old posts on Sonar and got a kick out of this one from 9 years ago. Things change fast!