Glenwood Springs Trip Report October 2016

Day 3 I had 4 places I wanted to fish.  3 on the Colorado and one on the lower Roaring Fork.  

I hit the main Street bridge in New Castle off Hwy 70 early in the morning
I had on the egg and warm and rolled a couple small fish and then fish started rising everywhere. 
They were small cutthroats and I caught a dozen or so on an Adams and then I left.  You can literally catch small cutthroats all throughout the valley anytime you want on dries.

first trout.jpg

I went to my second location only to find the department of transportation doing shoulder work and I couldn't pull off and park to fish.  It was about a mile downstream of New Castle and very nice shoal and pool.

So I headed to my third location in Glenwood Canyon itself, on the bike path at the Grizzly Creek access.  I got there and it was pretty busy and there were a lot of people milling around. 
I worked the back water eddies with an egg and a worm behind the big boulders like I do at all of the places on The Colorado.  I rolled two very large fish and both of them cart wheeled out into the heavy current and took off downstream not to be seen again.  You can see the pictures of these nuts headed down stream into the canyon.  The water in downtown is rated Class 3 but they would have to go through some Class 4-5 water before getting there.  Keep in mind it's still in the 55 degree range.
I got tired of the pocket fishing with the trees behind me in the water rushing by real fast so I took off for my last location of the day.

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2025.JPG

My 4th spot in Kiwanis Park on the lower Roaring Fork hoping for some browns moving out of the Colorado getting ready to spawn.  I get to Kwanis park and it's beautiful water with a nice flat that drops into a pool. 
I catch two cutthroats on my first two cast when a cop walks up behind me and tells me to hit the road.  Apparently they were digging for evidence from a shooting over the weekend and they actually had divers in the river looking for the gun. 
I went down stream always underneath the bridge and got a couple more small cutthroats on dry flies and decided to head back to the bridge rough start of the day.

IMG_2027.JPG

I get to the bridge where I started my day and fish are rising everywhere and not just little cuts but nice rainbows too.  I put on the adams but it's so windy and the glare so bad I can't see my fly.  So I tie on a woolly booger which ended up being my best choice of the day. 
I immediately caught a large rainbow a small brown and then a bunch more rainbows. 

IMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2030.JPG

After a long day it was time to head out.  I had one more hill to climb to get back up to the hwy.

IMG_2036.JPG

On my last day I walked 3.85 miles and climbed the equivalent of 29 flights of stairs according to my health app.

Time to head home and next week to Arkansas.

Love fishing CO.  I've caught a few in RMNP and in the Colorado on the other side of the divide from the park.  Those wild mountain trout are fun.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

I got into them on the South Platte one time and caught a bunch on an orange scud, including a six pound rainbow. I walked and waded from Cheeseman dam down to the bottom of the Gill trail. I was never so tired in my life. I flagged a car down to bum a ride back to the dam and the guy put two girls out of his car to have room for me in there. I presume he picked them back up on the way back.

• 4 weeks later...

Next time you're out here, let me know (that goes for anyone).  I spend a lot of time over on the fork and pan, and I'd be glad to show you around.

There are two types of people. Those who dream dreams and wish, then there are the do'ers. I am a do'er!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Flyfishmaster, i just saw this.  I live in denver so I fish the eastern side of the state(the front range) the most.  However, there are only a couple of areas in the state that I havent fished.  I used to live in Durango and fished that area exclusively for 3 years. (including the San Juan in New Mexico.  When I get time to fish, I prefer to spend most of my time on the Roaring Fork, Frying Pan, Eagle and Arkansas. 

There are two types of people. Those who dream dreams and wish, then there are the do'ers. I am a do'er!