river Jet boat

Okay, I saw a modified Tracker boat with a jet ski motor mounted in the hull, like an inboard motor. It seems like a better option than buying an outboard with a jet drive lower unit. the white river up beaver is really hairy & that old tracker was hauling the mail. 

Wrench, whats your take on the inboard jet vs the outboard lower unit type jet? 

I know very little about Rotax engines other than they are short stroke/low torque, therefore lighter, (I have had no official training on them whatsoever).   For Ozark river use I wouldn't want my intake grate on the bottom of the hull, I'd rather it be where I can get to it easier.  

An inboard jet will not cut as sharp of a corner as an outboard jet will, so you loose some manuverablility, but they will run faster and shallower, all other things being equal.  

I prefer shallow & top end speed over turning sharp corners, so the inboard might be the deal for this stretch of river. 

I need to be able to run 1ft deep rock shoals with bedrock & swift water. 

Heck Man ,

1 foot deep is really deep. That's no sweat at all . Really Running shallow is however much under 6 inches you dare. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

All rules don't apply if you have a River Pro. They've got an inboard jet and can do a 360 at 20-30 MPH.

Charles, I've driven the exact boat you're describing and it was very nice. 

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

• Members

Turning/cornering ability is more affected by hull design than the motor style.  My shoal runner with a sportjet will corner much better than any river pro (or outboard).  Inversely I can't come close to being able to slide into a 180 turn like a river pro can or stay on plane as slow (3-5 mph difference)   Same motor, different hull.  The vast majority of outboard jets are on flat bottom hulls which slide in turns instead of hooking and cornering.  It's the lack of V in the hull that allows that which incidentally is what makes them run as shallow as they do.  Not a bad thing nor a problem if you know what you're doing.  Outboards definitely have their advantages and sportjets certainly have theirs. 

If your describing an actual wave runner engine/pump mounted into a flat bottom John boat there are several things wrong with that setup for long term serious use most notably the fiberglass/ plastic pump assembly.  If it's just a play toy go for it!  They're cheap, and a crap load of fun as long as you know how to work on them just don't expect any kind of durability when you start chewing gravel.

if on the other hand your describing the tracker marine with a Mercury sport jet in it that's a whole other animal and I wouldn't be afraid of it especially if you have a foot of water to run in!

"Floaters make it hard to fish but sometimes they improve the scenery..."

11 hours ago, TrophyFishR said:

Okay, I saw a modified Tracker boat with a jet ski motor mounted in the hull, like an inboard motor. It seems like a better option than buying an outboard with a jet drive lower unit. the white river up beaver is really hairy & that old tracker was hauling the mail. 

Wrench, whats your take on the inboard jet vs the outboard lower unit type jet? 

If you're speaking of a boat such as the one listed below, they're basically a lake boat with a Mercury sport jet and NOT a river boat IMO.  The ones that I'm familiar with run decent, but are VERY transom heavy when running at slow speeds and while fishing.  The sport jet tracker may be great for the water that you're speaking of running. But in our part of the Ozarks there are FAR better options.  Also, as wrench said, the intake is on the bottom of the boat which can be a problem should you ever suck the pump full of rocks, leaves, or other debris; especially in winter, early spring and late fall.  A stomp grate would eliminate that, but I've never seen one on a tracker jet.  

If the boat you saw did in fact have an actual jet ski engine in it, then it is the product of someone's workshop and not a product of Tracker Marine.  Unless you are a great tinkerer and fabricator with detailed knowledge how all that stuff works, I'd avoid a boat like that altogether.

Having around twenty years of personal jet boat experience, the only way I'd go inboard is if I could afford the River Pro.  They are without a doubt the Cadillac of jet powered fishing rigs.  That being said, there are several quality boat dealers in the Ozark Anglers area with quality fabricators that could build you a boat that would run the same, if not better, than the boat the one you originally referred to.  

sport jet tracker.jpg

I assumed it was a jet ski motor, it appeared to be homemade vs manufactured. I didn't get a chance to ask the guy how it was installed. I don't know anything about jet boats, but I would like to have one eventually. It seems The River Pro is hard to find used. 

What are some of the other manufactures?