Greetings from islamorada

Dan the fisherman

Dan

Good luck on any fishing that you do while down in the Keys. Lots of species to go after in that area both inshore or offshore. You should do well. You going out with a guide while you are down there? Can't wait to see some fish pictures!

45 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

Dan

Good luck on any fishing that you do while down in the Keys. Lots of species to go after in that area both inshore or offshore. You should do well. You going out with a guide while you are down there? Can't wait to see some fish pictures!

Yes we're doing guides and a lot of bank fishing also.  Im looking to get tarpon, Goliath grouper, Snook, red fish, sail fish, sordfish and mahi-mahi.  I know it's a short list but I recoken I'll have enough time to get a few of them.  Oh and a few shark if possible 

You sir just broke the "suck meter". 

So jealous.  You're in tarpon country. 

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

Eat some Hogfish if in season. Offshore fishing is trolling mostly, though a school of dolphin can be fun. Bonefish possible there too. Could wade out on the flat shallows at low tide and find the cuts and holes that will be good when the tide moves. If there would go go tarpon, the rest are just bonus fish.

2 hours ago, Johnsfolly said:

You should have a good time no matter what you end up going for down there. I have only caught dolphin on your list. The others are on my bucket list. Good luck.

I agree.  Just breathing the ocean air is really nice. 

1 hour ago, jpb2187 said:

I'm sure the guides will have advice for you, but a 1/2 oz to full oz silver or gold jigging spoon, or something like a Johnson silver minnow can work wonders from shore. I like those jigging spoons because you can really cast them a mile. 

I did bring some spoons, top waters and some large crank baits form my Maine trip that I hope will do some damage.   I don't care about the species from the shore. I just want to catch

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Eat some Hogfish if in season. Offshore fishing is trolling mostly, though a school of dolphin can be fun. Bonefish possible there too. Could wade out on the flat shallows at low tide and find the cuts and holes that will be good when the tide moves. If there would go go tarpon, the rest are just bonus fish.

Keep it coming guys.  Loving the info and suggestions.   I will put it to use with the time I have, I can guarantee that.  I'm doing tarpon this week along with shark and going to try to squeeze getting scuba certification also.  Supposedly it's a 4 day course here.  I think seeing fish under the water would help to learn local lakes.   (Beaver is what's in my mind)