Tackle addiction question... is Jackhammer Blade bait really better

fowlthing

I haven’t thrown mine yet. I’ll let you know something about 4/20. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

28 minutes ago, Quillback said:

I'm in the "haven't thrown one yet" crowd.  I also am curious as to how they do in our big Ozark impoundments.  

IMH, It’s not a great open water option. I do enjoy fishing it around flooded brush when the opportunity presents itself.

I like the Project Z Chatterbaits. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

I just got back from Guntersville and they were all talking about the Jack Hammers down there.  I bought 2 of them to try a 3/8 and 1/2.  I fished with a jack hammer on one rod and a z-man most of the time on another rod.  I don't think the jack hammer out fished the other brands.  My biggest fish on the trip an 8.5 lber was caught on the z-man.  I am a big fan of the chatterbait and have 20 or so of them in different brands.  Each brand of baits will have slightly different features.  The Jack Hammers work well at really slow retrieve, they start shaking at a slower speed than the z-man.  The Omega chatterbait will shake your teeth lose the way they are designed, I think it had to much shake to it for the cooler water we had and I didn't catch much on it.  The Z-man take a little more retrieve speed to get it a shaking but you can slow it down once it starts shaking.  The Z-man can be retrieved at a little faster pace without coming to the top, that can be better in warmer water.  I have caught more fish on a Z-man bait than any others, BUT I throw a Z-man the most.  Hope that helps.  If your like me you will have to buy one and try it yourself to see if its any better. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

IMH, It’s not a great open water option. I do enjoy fishing it around flooded brush when the opportunity presents itself.

I like the Project Z Chatterbaits. 

I like the swing head design of the Project Z Chatterbait but I have haven't caught a single fish on it yet.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

I fished the jackhammer a decent amount last Fall.  While the components, and fit/finish are "better" than the regular Z man, I don't think the Jackhammer outproduces it. I'd take 3-4 regular chatterbaits for the cost over a jackhammer, and I say that as a Brett Hite fan.  I'm no cheapskate and have plenty of higher end lures, but in this case I can't justify the price difference.

I really just wish Z-mans patent would run out so other companies could go back to producing their old designs...

I’m a fan of the project z chatterbaits as well although I just got some from Picasso  to try. $20 for a chatterbait is hard to swallow but I guess the lucky craft spinnerbaits are along the same line.