Eagle Claw Rod

budman

light lures farther? steeper angle of line entry and better bouncing of bait? sure the 9'  spinning or casting rod would do that as well as a 9' fly rod but in my case I'd never seen a long spinning rod, maybe your guys hadn't either.

I also think that with the line under tension of the flying lure the  line will be against the snake, but we'd need a slow motion film of it to see that or rod cling. I'm sure that snakes do cause some drag even with fly line tho, because when I've replaced snakes with Fuji guides it increased the cast by ~20%, but I've seen arguments denying that too.

8 minutes ago, tjm said:

light lures farther? steeper angle of line entry and better bouncing of bait? sure the 9'  spinning or casting rod would do that as well as a 9' fly rod but in my case I'd never seen a long spinning rod, maybe your guys hadn't either.

I also think that with the line under tension of the flying lure the  line will be against the snake, but we'd need a slow motion film of it to see that or rod cling. I'm sure that snakes do cause some drag even with fly line tho, because when I've replaced snakes with Fuji guides it increased the cast by ~20%, but I've seen arguments denying that too.

Well this sounds like a fun topic to argue about.   😅 

#1- It would take a pretty heavy spinning reel to balance out a 9' glass rod. 

#2- I bet I can cast just as far, and twice as accurate, with a 6'6" spinning rig.

4 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

I'd like to challenge that. 

Especially if it's a flyrod with snake guides.   Line friction on the blank and additional guides just has to be a factor.  

Single foot fuji guides on a custom 4 weight my dad had made for me.  He just loved to see that spinning reel on it...😂

3 hours ago, tjm said:

It seemed like I could throw lighter lures farther with the fly rod, but that was 30-40 years ago and I at least had never heard of slower or faster rods (I still think that in the same vehicle they will go equally fast) so I put it down to a longer lever.  I don't recall any line cling on the rod or that the snakes hindered the line at all, of course I wasn't looking for that especially.

Fast = stiff, slow = buggy whip or limberif you prefer.  

I throw light Neds on a slowish 7'6" rod with a casting reel. I have found I must erase any snap to the cast. Leave about 18 inches of line between the tip and jig. Slow and easy back, slight pause, then like a good golf swing, slow and easy forward, accelerating, and release a bit higher than other methods. Golly gee, that is hard to describe using words only.

I suggest 4# Maxima line. Fewer line management problems.

(Do you like my Phil edited exclamation?)

Guess I should have waited 4-5 years. Just found it for $14. http://www.fish-united.com/products/Eagle-Claw-Granger-GRX-Salmon-{47}-Steelhead-Spinning-Rod.html Just a different color. Going to use it a few more time before fishing with it next week. I do understand about shortening up the cast to get timing and correct casting position to get the best distance and accuracy. Tried placing the spool of line into a cup of hot water to change the memory from the spool to the spool on the reel.

The buggy whips I recall seeing as a kid were about as rigid  as a stick except for the short very soft  tip/lash, I've never seen a fishing rod like that, interesting concept though.

21 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

#2- I bet I can cast just as far, and twice as accurate, with a 6'6" spinning rig.

Competing against yourself? I'll guess you're right, you know your capabilities best. 

It'd be no contest against me, over ten years since I last picked up a spinning rig and that was taking my older brother bait fishing, I managed to chuck a whole shrimp 20' or so to where a catfish could find it. Three or four outings with him are about the only casting I've done since ~1980. I imagine a kid with a 303 could out cast me.

Let's look at it another way, say you are tight line nymphing, will you pick a 6'6" rod or a 9'6" rod? why?

Don't over think it, if it works for you or like it go fishing with it.  I have a St Croix 7 med that spooled with some new 8 lb suffix 832 seems to be a casting beast.  Will truly find out in the coming weeks when I take it to stockton and see if I can cast it as far as I want.  Of course for a couole of years I used a BPS MH 6'6" that had a few inches broken off the tip, bought it for a bit of nothing at the outlet store, took home a fair number of walleye with that oddball substandard rod.

• 1 month later...