Featured
Skeeter ZX190
Skeeter ZX190

3/21 fishing report

Took my friend Bobby fishing today.  We talked about postponing the trip until Friday because we thought the fishing would be tough. A northwest wind; a couple of days after a pretty strong cold front, clear skies, etc.  On the way down around ElDorado Springs, we saw several herds of cows all lying down.  Not good signs.  By the time we got close to Stockton, the cows we were seeing were standing up.  So who knows.  

We put in at Orleans Trail around 9:00 a.m. and started there.  I was throwing a jerkbait and Bobby was throwing a green pumpkin rock crawler.  Nothing for quite awhile.  I switched to an alabama rig and still nothing.  Was working our way toward the main lake just east of the buoy line and I switched to a rock crawler in red craw.  Caught 2 fish on back to back casts.  A few cast later I caught another one.  Continued for a little while longer but to no avail.  Crossed to the north side and pulled out the ned.  Caught a few out in 8 to 14 feet of water.  Headed toward the dam and worked that big cove just north of the quarry.  It was game on.  We doubled up twice and all 4 fish were keepers.  Fish still coming out of 8 to 14 feet of water.  Secondary points and channel swing type banks were the best.  We caught several in that particular area.  We then headed toward the mouth of Price Branch in one of the big coves just east of the mouth of Price Branch.  Started toward the back and worked toward the main lake.  Caught quite a few back there too.  We then headed back to Orleans Trail to finish out our day and caught a couple more on secondary points.  We got off the water at 4:00 p.m.   When it was all said and done, we boated 49 bass.  15 were keepers with the biggest being 17 1/4 inches long.  3 came on the rock crawler  and 46 on the ned in green pumpkin.  

And we almost didn't go because we thought the fish weren't going to bite.  You just never know.

Water temps were 44.5 to start the day and 47.5 when we got off the water.

20180321_185547.jpg

20180321_185621.jpg

20180321_185712.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

2 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I just walked in. Fished from 5 to 7:15 and not a sniff this evening. I guess i shoulda made my cows stand up before i left my place. 

The bite did get tougher later in the day.

Ive been doing pretty good except the last 2 outtings. Skunked both trips. Fished green pumpkin Ned for 45 minutes from bank to 12' and nothing. Wiggle wart 30 minutes, nothing.  Same jerk ive been catching them on, nothing. Guess i need to stay home and do chores. 

That one looks like a meanmouth for sure.  Heck of a day...those are some fat ones too!!!  I think I am coming down tomorrow...water is warming up and fishing has been getting good!!