Meramec

Guest P. owensby

• Members

Nice, I love wading up in that area, but only catch Goggle Eye, Spots and Smallies. Is that a long eared sunfish? Looks like a really nice sunfish whatever it is.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest P. owensby

Nice, I love wading up in that area, but only catch Goggle Eye, Spots and Smallies. Is that a long eared sunfish? Looks like a really nice sunfish whatever it is.

I think it was a pancake with fins. Must have been hanging out in the Missouri by the Nuke plant before it came down to this neck of the woods... :excl:

I once walked up on a decent rainbow holed up in cool seep pocket about the size of a kitchen sink under the hwy 19 bridge at short bend. That fish strayed about 25 miles from where it was stocked. Over the years I’ve caught bunches of trout above hwy 8, I can only imagine how many stocked trout follow their instincts to disperse during high water events only to find themselves trapped in the warming water of early summer. I’d bet this behavior contributes to the marginal quality of fish in the short section of Meramec that will sustain trout year round. Oh by the way, If your comfortable with your angling masculinity a rooster tail is by far the best bait to throw for these wayward trout.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

Oh by the way, If your comfortable with your angling masculinity a rooster tail is by far the best bait to throw for these wayward trout.

I agree. Roostertails are great! But don't tell Coldwaterfsher that. He might call you a sissy. B)

I agree. Roostertails are great! But don't tell Coldwaterfsher that. He might call you a sissy. cool.gif

All he said was that they're crappy bass lures...and he's right. They catch lots of trout and lots of other small species, but there are so many other lures that will outfish them if you're looking for smallies or LM.

There's a spot maybe a mile above Hwy 8 where Windrush Farms spring branch dumps in. I think the trout above Hwy 8 are more likely escapees from there than from Maramec Spring/trout park, but thats just a theory. I'm sure high water mixes them all over the place.

edited to delete wind rush comment I was thinking about fishermans dude ranch...nevermind.

Its possible the trout at Short bend was an escapee from there where folks have put fish in their spring ponds.

I saw a rainbow about five miles above Hwy. 8 on the Huzzah a few weeks ago. Most likely came out of Dry Creek from the Springrise pay to fish place, which enters Huzzah at the Hwy. 8 bridge. They really get scattered when you have cold spring floods.

Guest P. owensby

I remember when I caught it, I could just start to here the traffic from the bridge so I would say it was probibly a mile and a half or so from the hi-way 8 bridge. I would say maybe an escapee from the big spring.

I remember when I caught it, I could just start to here the traffic from the bridge so I would say it was probibly a mile and a half or so from the hi-way 8 bridge. I would say maybe an escapee from the big spring.

Probably. It's a nice fish wherever it came from.