Bank Fishing Walleyes

Bitethis

Jeff, Not sure on the MO lakes but there was a nice write up about Beavers Walley last year by AGFC, I will see if i can find it. But looks like good reproduction and growth rates. I might go test the waters tomorrow.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between Arkansas and Missouri, I believe about 900,000 are stocked in Bull every year, and have been for quite some time. I may be off on this but it is being stocked by both Missouri and Arkansas at a very nice rate. I believe Ark stocks the most. I know Phil Lilley went on a egg harvest about 6 or 7 yrs. ago with the biologist. He may know the number.

The size I believe are fingerlings.

Bull got blown out this week pretty bad. Buster guided today and said it was his worst day on the pond since November as the water is just to murked up. He had 1 keeper eye, 1 crappie and about a 1/2 dozen small bass on a full day guide trip.

Spear gun fishing for walleye is legal in Bull Shoals. I have friends that enjoy this sport. None of my friends harvest over their limits and are really great people. They also harvest rough fish and point out a good day is usually one or two walleye. Most days they are more than happy to take carp, they turn into prussure cooked canned fish. Ihave had a jar or two and really when cooked in a patty with cracker crumbs and egg taste just like a salmon patty we had to eat as kids.

It's kind of funny, my wife that tells me to not bring home any more crappie fillets will ask me when we are going to get some more canned fish from Bill.

Nothing is ever as easy as it sounds, and they like us have thousands of dollars in gear.

Good Luck

Bill. Funny you should mention canned fish. Well made fish patties from traditional canned fish is nothing but good eats. The problem is making sure those who harvest by gig or spear actually process the fish.BTW, who else out there likes pickled fish?

I bet a guy (or gal) who knows what they are doing will run circles around a spear fisherman when it comes to walleye.

You are right as rain about this. The guys I know that go down, only go maybe at best a dozen or so times a year. At best that is a pretty small number of fish. Buster had more than their entire season in December.

I bet a guy (or gal) who knows what they are doing will run circles around a spear fisherman when it comes to walleye.

Ive gone down many times when i lived in FL and you are very right, Divers are from my experiance very selective of the target and pick only what they want/need. Guys on the boats easily outfished Divers but Divers were more selective, from the guys I talk to in freshwater they are the same. Boaters will catch more with no doubt but for quality divers will get that win. Diving is not a numbers game its probably the most selective harvest method I can think of as there is no catch and release with it.

A gal I work with and her family love to dive and spearfish. I've spent a lot of time talking to her about it. Their legal limit is 1/2 that of rod and reel anglers. They have to work to get close enough for the shot and deal with visibility limitations and COLD water.

They pretty much quit once the water gets too cold and as the thermocline starts to break up the walleye get too difficult to find.

They usually get a fish or two, but it does require a significant amount of time and money to do well.

It isn't as easy as we might think it would be.

I'd love to dive and observe fish to help my rod and reel fishing, but I don't anticipate speargun hunting to replace my rod and reel fishing.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish