Bank Fishing Walleyes

Bitethis

We have mainly been using a very bright multitone lime/green bleeding to yellow. Another one we have been using is any of the Pro-blue colors and the Chartruse/Gold

Clown is also very, very good.

We have been fishing entirey during daylight. Mid morniing to mid afternoon have been best. All our fish are suspended in 15ish. over 25 to 30, and very stationary. Probably why the jerkbait has been working for us.

This all will change soon and it will be a mout point as they will start to move to the bottom and move up lake. They will get on the jig minnow combinations, along with the stickbaits.

For us this seems to always be a late December thru February pattern.

Good Luck

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late on this subject, great discussions though and thanks Bill and Bry for the intel. The largest eye I know of in recent years was 17.4 from the upper bull and was caught vertically jigging gulp.

I am to aggresive when it comes to stickbait fishing for eyes which is something I have tried to change but can't seem to. I generally done better using BB and large fresh trapped shiners.

Good to see lots of big girls around though. I may have missed it but whats the water temp up around Beaver right now?

Ron Burgundy....You are correct. 1 - FLW & 3 PWT ...

Rangerman.....Me too ! I have a very hard time sitting that still for that long...(with a stickbait out there)....I'm working on it and I know it works. Buster used to take my money on a regular basis back when the old "Missouri Walleye Anglers Association" had tourneys in Feb on upper Bull. You really have to have confidence in where you are fishing !

How long is the average 10 lb walleye? I've caught a handful over 25 inches which I'm guessing we're around 5 pounds.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

How long is the average 10 lb walleye? I've caught a handful over 25 inches which I'm guessing we're around 5 pounds.

The only walleye I caught over 10 lbs was 10lb 12oz and it was 31 inches.

I've heard of 10 pounders measuring from 27.5" (sumo pig) to 32" (skinny as a rail) in length. Where and when you catch 'em has a lot to do with it, but you can also (theoretically) catch two from the same lake on the same day that'll vary like that as well. :)

I caught a heavy 28.5" pre-spawn fish that went 10-4, but I also caught a skinny mid-summer eye that measured over 33" but only weighed 11-12.

Ron Burgundy....You are correct. 1 - FLW & 3 PWT ...

Rangerman.....Me too ! I have a very hard time sitting that still for that long...(with a stickbait out there)....I'm working on it and I know it works. Buster used to take my money on a regular basis back when the old "Missouri Walleye Anglers Association" had tourneys in Feb on upper Bull. You really have to have confidence in where you are fishinYoug !

You know, Buster is still a relitively young man at under 40 and he has been catching them by this method since the late 1980's. I believe its kind of like realestate. Location more than matters. Some years it is not nearly as good as it has been this year.

I know it can be extremely frustrating, and if you only got a day or so to try this its not going to be pretty. It is however a proven method with with over 20 yrs. of proven results.

About 15 yrs ago. Buster, Tim Sainato and I were guiding a group of Tim's clients. In back to back cast I saw Tim catch a 16 pounder on the first cast and a 12 pounder on his second. All 3 guide boats had fished 5 hrs. to that point without a bite. We were having lunch and they just started. I believe in about 2 hrs that day we caught 8 walleye and at least 2 dozen crappie on the big stickbaits, between 1 and 3 oclock.

Buster and I took Brent Frazee of the KCStar about 10 yrs. ago. We caught a 3 person limit that weighed 58 pounds. Also released anorther dozen shorts. The day we caught that big bag we had 2 inches of sleet in the boat, it was just sureal. I have never been so miserable, but 24 walleye in 6 hrs. was just insane for Bull Shoals.

Hang in there and good luck

I sure hope I have someone in the boat with me to take a decent picture IF I ever catch a walleye > 30 inches. I'm going to take a quick photo and release that pig.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish