NED VRS KITCHEN SINK

magicwormman

I always find it rewarding putting others on fish, especially young kids and first timers. My partner today is a friend from Northern MO. who doesn't get to fish much. I've taken him out for a few hours on three occasions this last week. We fish the mid James from 6:30 P.M. to 8:30 last night and my plan was to let him fish the ned and I would throw everything else. That plan worked to perfection as I witnessed him catch five bass with two nice keepers to my one short fish (caught on a Super fluke). I decided I would just fish the little rig til I caught a legal and than return to the kitchen sink. I caught this beauty, 21 inches long on my 2nd cast and like a good boy I put the ned down and return to the sink. Three keepers total with 5 shorts. All caught in 5 to 8 feet of water and most came on secondary points. Both big fish looked completely spawned out.

post-10389-0-39541300-1430047826.jpg

post-10389-0-50060500-1430047846.jpg

Good work Spoony. Just remember, the Ned only catches small fish. You could never use it to compete in a tmt, or catch good ones...

Folks, the keys to catching better fish with the Ned are fishing it in cover, and slowing down. I watched some good fishermen from my old club today "slow down". They spent about 15 minutes fishing a point I then sat on for over an hour. There is slow, then there is painfully slow. The second option is really working.

Will get pics up. Would have had 13# or better on my best 5, a buddy limit would have pushed #15. Just some sold brown fish and some really fat spots, with the odd black mixed in.

I'm becoming so confident in the Ned that I find it hard to put down. I will definitely have guests use it who don't get to fish much. It just catches fish. Slow is not that slow when you're catching fish. :-)

I fished cover yesterday and when I thought I needed to recast, I started reeling it in and a nice spot nailed it on the way to the boat. He had been watching I and when it took off, he said "Stop!" :-)

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

Best way to catch one with anything right now, including shakey heads, is to get it on the bottom around cover, and just watch a bird on the bank.

Bill Richey is using it with clients and told me he has had to stop just dropping his rod to net fish for them. Has picked it up too many times and found one swimming with it. Friday, I had a little wrap around that cinched tight, had to hand line it in, and had to ask for a net job. A nice spot had picked it up while I was fiddling trying to untangle the line.

Can't fish it too slowly, or with too little action. At TR there are dozens of fish stacked up on little points just begging to be caught. Guys are zooming right past them. If you don't want to Ned, a shakey will catch some too.

I was escaping the terrible wind early Saturday mor ing and ducked into a cove I'd hadn't fished in years. Found an ideal transition between rock and gravel with a good drop off next to a dock. If a bass wasn't in there I'd eat my own shorts. :-). It was perfect for a Ned or a jig. So I pitched the Ned in there quietly. Waited. Shook it just slightly to feel for weight then stopped and dead stick it some more. About 1min later I felt a few ticks. I tried to set the hook as I had slack line in my other hand feeling for the ticks and I he him halfway to the boat and he let go.

This happened about 6 more times. He would let go after he felt me pulling him. The Zman was taking a beating.

The 7th time I finally got a hook in his mouth and he made it I'm the boat. Soon as he was in the boat the hook came unbuttoned.

I put him in the live well for a few hours as a timeout for bad behavior. :-)

Dave is correct. Can't fish it slow enough. The more I fish it, the more I learn to stop feeling for weight, stop feeling the bait, stop putting action on it. Had I just left it there, I may have gotten that bass the first time. I felt him nibble it and let go, nibble and let go numerous times before setting the hook the third time.

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!