Fly tying Basics

I really dont get the enjoyment out of tying my flies that some people really seem to get, but I get a little hacked paying for the flys that I use a lot and that seem relatively simple to tie. So, I am trying to get better at the basics to (giggle) save money by tying some of the flys I use.

I can tie Zebra midges and variations thereof, Clousers, Streamers like MIcky Finn's, Wooly Buggers, foam hoppers, and the easiest fly in the world:  San Juan worms. Thise are some really basic things that I have tried enough times to get mostly correct.

I know I need to learn how to tie Y2K's better, scuds, sowbugs, and some kind of big nasty stone fly bottom bouncing thing.  What else do I need to add to my skill set. I have zero interest in tiny stuff. The bass fisherman in me makes it impossible for me to fish stuff that is size 20 and below. 7X tippit on my rod is the same as dumping my fly boxes in the trash. I can not fish 7X w/o breaking off on almost every hookset (yeah I know).

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

scuds and sowbugs are basically dubbing on a hook with lead and/or bead. just as easy as a zebra midge. Eggs on a 1/100 jig head are stupid easy, 5 or 6 wraps around some yarn, pull tight and cut STRAIGHT. 

I like dub style reggae, but I have never dubbed a fly. I have a hard time getting the yarn tight without it slipping. Practice, practice, pratice-I suppose.

let it spin, once you cut across the top fill it in with your fingers. cut like 3/8 in from hook shank or else it will be a huge egg

20151130_163122.jpg

20151130_163212.jpg

I really, really like egg patterns. I like the bigger stout egg hook (bass guy) and that the egg can draw fish in and then catch them on a small fly trailing the egg.

My trips to Taney will be uncommon. Still, if its a good fly there, its likely a good fly other places too.