Walleye fishing

Mark Cooper

2 hours ago, Mark Cooper said:

Alright guys when,where and how to catch walleye on Lake ozarks. I live up Cole Camp creek and have heard of alot of people catching them but have know idea how to target them in my area.

Pick the narrowest channel between you and truman dam. They have to pass through on their annual migration upstream. Once the spawn run is over, I have no idea. 

I've yet to touch a walleye in Cole Camp, but I'm not saying they aren't there.  One of my two fishing goals for the coming year is to at least get a handle on walleyes in the upper end of LOZ.  My guess is that the main channel will be where most of the 'eyes will be found, with the possible exception of the bottom end of the creek arm now until early March.  My experience in the West says that walleyes will be found in deeper water, out of the current but close to it. They should be moving up toward where they will spawn and then holding in the deeper, soft water before the spring push.  Whether that is the case for the 'eyes in LOZ is debatable.

Where do you live on the creek? We've got a place in the Brickley Hollow area...

I always hear about folks catching them in a big spring hole near Haha Tonka but don't hate them enough to look for them in winter.  Once they start moving up there is a cove on the south side just dowest ream of 65 that can be pretty good if there is some water moving.

Mid-late February in the upper 2 miles of the main channel.

A decent number will run up Cole Camp cr. a week or two before the Whites show up UNLESS THE WATER LEVEL IS STUPID LOW.  If you catch a white then you're too late.  Something along the bottom with a spinner on it (1/8oz Roadrunner, 1/4oz Little George) is hard to beat. Or a Marabou crappie jig tipped with a minnow.

You now know everything I do about Walleye on LO, my intelligence level ends there. 😊

• 5 weeks later...

We've picked on up trolling right off of Gross Point where Cole Camp Creek meets the Osage. Only issue you'll have during the spring run is all the snagggin' going on. You might have to go past the 65 bridge where snaggin' isn't allowed if you do it during the spring.

Jig & minnow is all I know about walleye...Chartruese  or glow white head in  1/8 or 1/4 oz. Hook the minnow the Canadian way. Insert hook through mouth, and out the gill, then insert the hook through the lateral line. The mouth of the minnow should be tight to the jig head and the body should be 180 degrees out from the jig's line tie. The tail flaps up and down, and they cant get the minnow without eating it. You can usually catch a couple on one minnow.