Designer Jigs

I love painting jigs. A new kind of powder paint came out called crinkle in four colors so I ordered some to try. It was frustrating at first because I couldn't get mine to look like the paint jobs that I had seen. Finally, after a couple hundred so so painted heads I figured it out. Don't know if they will catch more fish but they sure look cool.  IMG_1849.JPGIMG_1851.JPGIMG_1843.JPGIMG_1848.JPG

Those look very interesting.  I’ve heard about that but never bought any.  I basically dip and swish.  I’ve even quit using the brush tap method as I couldn’t see it producing better.

I had been doing ok by dipping in the colors and then reheating the head after dipping in the crinkle but once you dip it in the crinkle you should stop and not heat again until you cure the jigs in the oven. After dipping it in crinkle the head should look shiny black and and when you bake them in the oven the colors come through. Been experimenting with oven temps and seems 300-350 works the best for me and heads are finished in 10-15 minutes.

48 minutes ago, JUNGLE JIM 1 said:

I had been doing ok by dipping in the colors and then reheating the head after dipping in the crinkle but once you dip it in the crinkle you should stop and not heat again until you cure the jigs in the oven. After dipping it in crinkle the head should look shiny black and and when you bake them in the oven the colors come through. Been experimenting with oven temps and seems 300-350 works the best for me and heads are finished in 10-15 minutes.

I bake powder paint in a toaster oven.  They are notorious for not having the correct temp.  Set on 350° mine can’t be left untended for more than 15 minutes or I am liable to have a bunch of hooks with a gommy mess below them.

10 hours ago, DADAKOTA said:

Been known to get an elongated "nose" on some of my jigs after baking.  Haven't quite figured out if it is too much powder paint or too long a bake.  Or both?

Too much paint.