For those considering a fly-casting class.

Once you have the basics down no "instructor" is going to help you.  

What you likely need is a good TUNING of your equipment.    A casting "instructor" is going to waste your time, and further confuse you by giving you tips and hints on your "form".    Piss on all of that BS !   If it doesn't feel natural and it takes loads of extra effort and concentration......then you're fighting a losing battle.   

If it's the dreaded "tailing loop" that you're plagued with.....then stay away from lines like RIO GRAND or SA GPX (or whatever the"masters" at SA are calling it now).   Those tip-heavy lines might load your rod better and allow you to feel when your backcast has straightened out, but if your natural stroke produces a tailing loop with them.....then you're stuck with it, so accept that and move on.   Get a standard WF or DT line and watch that tailing loop just magically disappear.   Still got it?   Then cut 15" of line off the tip taper..... BINGO! 👍

Line slapping the water too hard? Or an inability to make the line straighten out BEFORE it lands on the water?    First make sure your reel is heavy enough to balance the rod....and if not and the outfit is tip heavy, then FIX IT.    If balance is good then drop down one line size !      Yeah I know.....now it doesn't feel like the rod is "loaded enough"......but forget that for a minute.... and look how your line lays out on the water now !   👍

It's not "instructions" or "lessons" that you need.   It's equipment that fits your style.   Iron that out and it all comes natural.   ✌️

1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

Once you have the basics down no "instructor" is going to help you.  

What are those basics? and would an instructor help with getting them down?

Dunno, I’ve always learned allot from folks who are better at something than me. Your welcome to learn your own way.  I used to cast regularly with some very good fly casters, some FFF certified, some master certified. Master is a pretty tough test. Think the late Jerry Clark did allot to correct my mechanics.

Well, I've seen some people at RRSP that sure looked like they would benefit from a few lessons,  I can't say for sure though because I've never actually seen a fly casting instructor that I know of and that may be the very kind of folks that I was watching.

And what stirred up this thread?  Sit in on a class Wrench and feel slighted?

A good fly casting instructor will school you on making your setup work well.  And correct your faults if he finds any..

But many factors are in play like you say.  Every rod setup is different, every fly needs a balance point.  Fast rods, slow rods.  Tip flex, mid flex, butt flex.  Its not just old whippy bamboo canes flopping around any more.

But the basic motion of starting and stopping a cast is very important.  Your stance and arm/wrist position comes in play.  That is what a basic class should teach.

I hate many fast action rods and tend to stay with the mid range actions of the older graphite rods.  And I can cast the bamboo actions also.  The fast action tip flex ones are a trick for me.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

1 hour ago, tjm said:

What are those basics? and would an instructor help with getting them down?

The basics are.... Accelerating to a smooth but sudden stop.  Timing (waiting and holding position while the line travels rearward or forward).   And loop control.     This is what anyone that has a mere 2 months of experience casting a flyrod has already mastered,... And if all you ever plan to do is stand in the hatchery outlets and "Tenkara fish" with your flyrod, then you're already as good as you ever need to be.   So YES an instructor can "help" if you actually can't pull that off on your own......But I would expect that anyone capable of spreading a blanket on a bed, putting a tablecloth on a dinner table, or flipping an extension cord over a coffee table.... could SURELY conquer the mechanics of it in short order.  😅

And how does the windshield wiper or metronome action come into play? I see these people year after year doing the metronome as instructed in "The Movie". Being a dedicated rollcaster for fortyodd  years I can't say I know much about actual casting.

1 minute ago, tjm said:

And how does the windshield wiper or metronome action come into play? I see these people year after year doing the metronome as instructed in "The Movie". Being a dedicated rollcaster for fortyodd  years I can't say I know much about actual casting.

The metronome method is simply a timing/rhythm exercise.   Has no real bearing on fly-casting since it all changes depending on the length of line.....and what is attached to the end of it.