Old Pictures

Robert Haynes

I was in Destin and bored so I went to the tackle shop to cure the boredom. I met a friend of my family who we haven't seen in about 40 years that owned the tackle shop. He had these pictures of his family and mine that were really interesting to me. It's amazing that they could catch these big fish off the jetties and get them landed without breaking off. These fish were mostly call off the South Padre Island, Texas Jettys except for the 2 catfish. They always cut the tails on the catfish to let them bleed out.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Why is it that pictures from those days with such limited technology are so much better than the photos of today?

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

Mitch

I have always liked the contrasts that you would get with black and white film. A lot of color photos get kind of muddy. So I like the old pictures for those qualities.

46 minutes ago, Mitch f said:

Why is it that pictures from those days with such limited technology are so much better than the photos of today?

Digital vs optical.  Real camera vs cell phone cameras.  Photographers who know what they are doing vs those that don't.  

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

3 hours ago, moguy1973 said:

Digital vs optical.  Real camera vs cell phone cameras.  Photographers who know what they are doing vs those that don't.  

I agree, plus they waited until they really had something to brag about before they took the pic!

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

These pictures were actually hanging on his wall and I used my iPhone to take pictures of them. I don't think these pictures would look as good if white bass were hanging. I think the big fish makes a big difference on how well the pictures look. I remember these men, they taught my Dad to fish. 

Not a fishing jersey to be seen. My Grandfather had pictures like these from 1940's Wisconsin. Would make ya cry. My goodness, over a ton of fish.

Are those Goliath Groupers?

7 hours ago, Blll said:

Not a fishing jersey to be seen. My Grandfather had pictures like these from 1940's Wisconsin. Would make ya cry. My goodness, over a ton of fish.

Are those Goliath Groupers?

We always called these fish "Jewfish". I was surprised by the Grouper name as well on the photo. The answer is yes, the Jewfish has officially had a more PC name change to Goliath Grouper.

The goliath grouper was known as the jewfish previously. Apparently there are a few ideas about how they got that name. I had heard one idea that the jewfish was just a shortening of the original name of jeweled fish, which was given to these fish based upon the speckled coloration of the juvenile fish. Another that this was a mispronounciation of jawfish. The last is that this was considered a fine kosher fish due to it's white flesh eaten by jews in the caribbean.