Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Quillback

Some more Indian Creek stripers

Recommended Posts

Called my buddy Ken yesterday after I got home and we decided to get out early and see if we could find the stripers again today.  I always worry when I run into some fish and invite someone to go that we'll get there and won't be able to find them, but they were in the same spots today that they were in yesterday.  We had some really good top water action early, from daylight until about 8 or 8:30.  We boated eight stripers, and had a couple others to the boat that got off.  

Shad appear to be spawning, the stripers herd them up near the bank and go to work on them, they don't stay up long so you have to get on them when they do come up.  When they get going on those shad, they lose their minds and will just destroy a top water.  I was using an Evergreen SB 125, and Ken was tossing a spook, but I believe any walking type bait will catch them, the key is being there when they blow up.  

No really big ones, our fish were in the 4 - 10 lb. range.  Ken kept several for the frying pan.

large.May7striper3.jpg

 

large.May7striper2.jpg

 

large.May7striper1.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quillback said:

Called my buddy Ken yesterday after I got home and we decided to get out early and see if we could find the stripers again today.  I always worry when I run into some fish and invite someone to go that we'll get there and won't be able to find them, but they were in the same spots today that they were in yesterday.  We had some really good top water action early, from daylight until about 8 or 8:30.  We boated eight stripers, and had a couple others to the boat that got off.  

Shad appear to be spawning, the stripers herd them up near the bank and go to work on them, they don't stay up long so you have to get on them when they do come up.  When they get going on those shad, they lose their minds and will just destroy a top water.  I was using an Evergreen SB 125, and Ken was tossing a spook, but I believe any walking type bait will catch them, the key is being there when they blow up.  

No really big ones, our fish were in the 4 - 10 lb. range.  Ken kept several for the frying pan.

large.May7striper3.jpg

 

large.May7striper2.jpg

 

large.May7striper1.jpg

 

 

 

          Dang again Jeff!    This is like torture for me.  If I was closer I would try with the fly rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking fish Jeff! Glad that you were able to guide your friend to some striper success! We haven't seen stripers that size near where we could reach from the shore. I need a boat:mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

          Dang again Jeff!    This is like torture for me.  If I was closer I would try with the fly rod. 

That would be challenging, to get one to bite on the fly, but today was a day when I bet you could've.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the size we have been catching from the shore lines of the rivers around us. Some bigger ones being caught from the beach, but it has been hit or miss and we haven't been able to get to the beaches due to lockdown restrictions.

Resized_20200428_120653.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice, I can never make stripers or whites taste that good, I remove the dark meat and all but still a little too fishy for me. Same for paddle fish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mitch f said:

Very nice, I can never make stripers or whites taste that good, I remove the dark meat and all but still a little too fishy for me. Same for paddle fish

I can eat them, but not my favorite.  Great fish to catch on top, explosive strikes, hard fights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 9:40 AM, Mitch f said:

Very nice, I can never make stripers or whites taste that good, I remove the dark meat and all but still a little too fishy for me. Same for paddle fish

Sorry to hear that Mitch. I feel at times fish should taste like fish. I like rockfish and white bass. Still trying to find some little cousin white perch big enough for a meal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.