How Old Is Too Old To Fish?

• Members

Not talking about fishing off the end of a dock for crappie. Talking about full tilt bass fishing, out on the lake, running the TM, firing off long casts where needed. I'm 62, gonna be 63 soon and its been on my mind alot lately.

I'm in good shape but I remember my dad had to quit golf in his late 60's because his shoulders hurt and he couldn't swing the club anymore.

I figure if you stay in decent shape you can do it thru your 70's anyway. But I've already got aches and pains I never had 10 yrs ago, some artritis in my knees and an elbow that acts up with the weather. And I can't put the line thru the hook eye if its low light.

God have pity on my soul.

I wouldn't worry about, Wayne is older than dirt and he still gets out and paddles and fishes! :secret-laugh: Couldn't resist, but really keep at it until you absoutly can't and don't worry too much about it.

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

Hell I'm only 48 and already notice that I'm slippin. Balance ain't what it used to be, eyes do crazy s#!t, and I just don't have the drive to stay with it on the tough days like I did just a few short years ago. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment phase.....but I dunno. If I think about it too long I get kinda depressed. LOL

If you soil your DEPENDS more than three times per day........

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

Gosh I hope I'm never too old, I wouldn't have any reason to live if I couldn't fish. At 51 I have slowed a bit but I still think I could carry a 40 lbs pack 8 or 10 miles into the back country, that is as long as my knees don't give out, and my back doesn't act up, and my heart doesn't fail me, and.....

Oh well I guess maybe I can't, but by god I'm going to enjoy the heck out of doing what I can.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

• Members

Not talking about fishing off the end of a dock for crappie. Talking about full tilt bass fishing, out on the lake, running the TM, firing off long casts where needed. I'm 62, gonna be 63 soon and its been on my mind alot lately.

I'm in good shape but I remember my dad had to quit golf in his late 60's because his shoulders hurt and he couldn't swing the club anymore.

I figure if you stay in decent shape you can do it thru your 70's anyway. But I've already got aches and pains I never had 10 yrs ago, some artritis in my knees and an elbow that acts up with the weather. And I can't put the line thru the hook eye if its low light.

dead is to old

God have pity on my soul.

kirbydog - I am your age and, like others have mentioned, some parts do not have the strength they once did or do not function as effortlessly as they once did. However, when I tore up my shoulder last fall, I elected to have surgery and rehab so I could return to fishing alone and netting my own fish. Too old will be the year that kind of decision goes the other way.

Chek out Ned Kehde's blog over at InFisherman. He is in his 70's and still fishing several times weekly, and writing about it. A couple of his partners have 10 years or so on him.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/core-experts/ned-kehde/blog/

They do fish differently, slower and smaller baits, smaller fishing rigs, shorter and closer trips. But they fish more often than I do at 30 years younger.