Boy Scouts 50-Miler Award, Eleven Point River

MaxDrown

Our Boy Scout troop with much assistance from Brian Sloss at Eleven Point Canoe Rental is planning a trip to the Eleven Point River from July 30 - Aug 4. We will be taking about 28 scouts and leaders. The Scouts will be earning the 50-Miler award. We are planning to camp each nite on the river bank. Have any of you all ever done a float trip of that magnitude on this river or done a trip of this magnitude on any river with Scouts or young people? If so, I am looking for ideas to help this trip be fun and safe and memorable for the scouts. Some of the concerns I have already are water purification, cleaning dishes, nutrition menu to span 6 days without refrigeration, proper hydration, etc. These young men are on a tight budget, too, so any money-saving tips would be appreciated.

-- Max Drown

Sounds like an awesome trip...too bad you gotta take all those kids. LOL

Have them all pitch in and buy a water filter...you can get a decent one for under $100. With 28 people you may actually want a backup...gonna get a lot of use. And unless you have a fleet of Yetis or stop a couple times to re-supply somewhere somehow, you're not gonna keep ice alive for six days in July. I see lots of beans and beef jerky in your future. You can buy dehydrated meals while you're at the outdoor shop to get the filter...but they can be pricey...five dollars and up per meal. Not so practical on a budget.

Six days in July with twenty-something whiny kids? Eh, I don't know. Hope you're the patient type.

Pasta gets old, but it is filling and it can be made with the water that you purify. Tuna can be brought along also. Check somewhere like Sams for chicken in a can (the large cans), you can make many dutch oven meals with chicken and Rice/pasta. Talk to a few restaurants about some donations of food. You can plan ahead and keep some cold goods for the first couple of days, and use them first. Many fruits and vegetables can be kept without being kept cold.

Don't forget good ole peanut butter and jelly. Let the boys be creative in thier ideas and they will enjoy it more so also. You can bring tortilla shells and make pizzas with pizza sauce and cheese if it is within the first couple of days. Just keep the coolers wrapped in sleeping bags and they will maintain the cold longer. I read on here that a wet towel over the cooler makes a tremendous difference, I have yet to try it. Block ice is also gonna last longer than ice cubes and you can make your own block ice with water bottles. Fill them 3/4 and do not cap them in the freezer. When frozen, cap them and use them as you would any type of ice. When they melt, you can use it as clean water. Sorry kinda went on a rant, hope you can use at least one item here.

Have fun, be safe.

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)

Pasta gets old, but it is filling and it can be made with the water that you purify.

You really don't even need to purify they pasta water if you boil it for 4 minutes before you put the pasta in it.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

28 is a bunch to feed on a gravel bar...Here's a couple cheap quick meals that work well with a big group..Pulled Pork...smoke it ahead of time, pull & freeze in 2 gallon ziplocks...reheat in an aluminum pan with some liquid & bbq sauce...Soup or Chili...make ahead, freeze in 2 gallon zip locks, reheat. Bring a big stock pot...after day 2 you will probably be limited to pasta, rice, oatmeal, dehydrated meals and add water type stuff unless you catch some fish to eat. If your bringing fresh meat...vac pack it so it wont get soggy in your cooler..Separate cooler for food and beverages. Block Ice and drain it if you want to keep ice alive longer. Have fun...sounds like a blast.

A few more cooler tricks: Drain and top off all your coolers just before launching filling all the open areas between blocks and jugs with cubes. Designate some coolers to be not opened at all for the first three days. Only open these coolers once a day to remove ice to supply food and drink coolers. Use small coolers for beverages so the larger coolers don't have to be opened frequently. Freeze your food so that it act's like ice, I even freeze sticks of butter. As your ice melts do not drain the water till it warms enough to be useless, the slighty cool water can serve to pre-cool warm drinks before they are put into your precious remaining ice, I usually do this in the evening. As the trip progresses double wrap your trash and store it in the coolers as you empty them, put the bungy cords back on. If you do every thing just right you should have cool drink on your last day.

Another suggestion would be to envolve the scouts in the menu planning. One of the few useful things I took from my scouting experience is meal planning. To this day I write out a menu for every trip. I'd guess the kids would be less likely to complain about the food if they have a say in what they are eating.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

You should have a real solid evacuation plan if somebody gets sick, hurt or even homesick -- maybe have somebody shadow you on land. Some of those places could be hours from a takeout, other help, much less momma. But, I 'd bet you know that.

Oatmeal, rice/pasta/beans, fruit, dried fruit, nuts, jerky, pita, gatorade or other mix. Maybe some homemade granola before you go.

John

Another tip we learned in leader training was to use water bottles (the kind that clip) and fill them with G.O.R.P. Good O'l Raisins and Peanuts. They do not require refrigeration, and they will keep the boys comfortable (hunger wise).

You may look into some umbrellas or a way to divert the sun ahead of time. You probably already have thought about it, but you will be in the sun almost all day every day. Sunburn and dehydration will be a very real threat. One idea on that would be to use the rain fly from your tents and use maybe some pvc to create a frame to hold the fly to make a bimini top. Talk to some local businesses, and maybe you can get tarp or pvc donated electrical conduit would work also it would be cheaper and stronger, but weigh more.

Zatarains makes some good flavor meals with rice (in my opionion) and they are reasonable if you catch them on sale. Or you can get ideas from their flavors and duplicate them. As has been said earlier get input from the boys, as if they aren't happy.......... Yeah.

Man, I am really excited for you guys, my boys are not ready for that yet, I may have one or few, but most are within a couple years out of Webelos.

Don't forget a foot ball and frisbee. You may want to learn a few card games also. Keep them BUSY.

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)