deleted

Good friends of mine that I float and fish with quite a bit. 21 1/4" but the girth on this fish is unreal. The only fish that was caught on that float too. What a huge smallmouth!

That's the video I was referring to, that thing is an absolute monster, thanks for posting that!

There's no such thing, as a bad day fishing!

Yeah, I never could figure out why that second fish doesn't look as big as it was. I measured it, honest. And weighed it on a set of De-liar scales that I'd actually checked to make sure they were reasonably accurate. Of course, you can't get an exact weight on a scale like that, but it was right on the five pound mark. The thing is still hanging on my wall, and I just measured it. Making allowances for the mouth being open and the tail fin spread (and fins shrink in mounting the old way), it's still right around 21.5.

I did a 12 day float on the Meramec back in 1982, floating from Short Bend to Times Beach. Below Hwy. 30, I caught two in one day that were right around 21 inches. Back in those days, I caught a lot of 20 inchers, usually averaging about one every two trips on the Meramec, and that's not fishing in the winter, either. Zipstick was fishing the Meramec a lot even back then, and he caught an amazing number of big fish. So yeah, there were more big ones in rivers like the Meramec 23-30 years ago. At the same time, however, there were probably fewer 20 inchers in some of the smaller streams back in the 1970s than there were 20 years later. Or maybe I just knew more about catching them. The spotted bass depressed the entire smallmouth population in a lot of my best waters, and jetboats made gigging so much easier and also attracted a lot of good reservoir anglers to the rivers, guys who wouldn't be caught dead in a canoe, and the big fish started disappearing.

Oh man! I have to get in on some of this! This is a great thread!

While guiding one weekend in Arkansas a few years ago, I caught my personal best in a trib of the Arkansas river. Actually caught it on a fly. We were hunting some trout and I was tossing my famous #36 Pecker Gnat tied with Musk Ox testical hair.

post-3261-0-49601800-1361321804_thumb.jp

The client I was guiding that day also caught his personal best. How cool is that!! I make it a rule to never post client pics or reports but I am making an exception this time. He still makes it down here for some fishing occasionally and we always work this day into our converstion before he heads back home.

post-3261-0-03886400-1361321828_thumb.jp

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

Ok, honestly. Hell if I know. It happened about 25 years ago in late May on the Niangua above Bennett, second day of a two day float trip where it rained about two inches the first night. Obviously a big rise. I was fishing a big aluminum lip crawdaddy crankbait, maybe a Bomber or something? I guessed the fish at about 6 pounds. So what would that measure? I do not have a clue. But it was a big fish, by far the largest smallmouth I've ever caught before or since.

Oh man! I have to get in on some of this! This is a great thread!

While guiding one weekend in Arkansas a few years ago, I caught my personal best in a trib of the Arkansas river. Actually caught it on a fly. We were hunting some trout and I was tossing my famous #36 Pecker Gnat tied with Musk Ox testical hair.

attachicon.gifRandom 154.jpg

The client I was guiding that day also caught his personal best. How cool is that!! I make it a rule to never post client pics or reports but I am making an exception this time. He still makes it down here for some fishing occasionally and we always work this day into our converstion before he heads back home.

attachicon.gifRandom 156.jpg

Guide reports instantly draw my disdain, but Paul Dallas overruled and said this one is grand.