Jigs!?

Sore Thumbs

I knew a guy who owned a tackle store up in MN and he said that he would not sell any jig heads unless it had an eye painted on it. The fish didn't care, but the fishermen did.

I was partnered up with Dion Hibdon in the last bfl tournament on LOZ. He was flipping a soft plastic on a jig head that was so beat up that there was no paint on it at all. If he doesn' t care about the paint on the head, I will not either.

Sore Thumbs, sorry if I helped hijack the post. I have never used the NuJigs, but the look good and have a great design. The ones I use are chompers/omega for heavy jigs, and jewel for lighter ones

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paint color eyes all means very little in relationship to technique. I am going to try the Nutech but if i order them later I do not want any painted heads or skirts. My plan it to use them on thing like paddle tail worms. And some large plastic creature baits.

I think all the jig companies powder coat the same way, the only thing that could make a difference on the toughness is whether they bake on the paint in the oven after the initial application, the oven will make the coating many times tougher IMO. The reason I know this is because if you don't remove the paint from the eye before the oven bake, its very hard to remove it afterwards.

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

It's pretty hard to go wrong with a Jewel Football jig. I really like Keitech Model 2 Football jigs too, but they're pretty pricey.

And I must be doing something wrong...90% of mine never seem to last long enough to have the paint knocked off - they're always stuck in a crevice, wrapped around a dock post, or hung up in a submerged tree...

Anyone tried a tungsten jig yet? I know with a tungsten worm wieght there is a big difference. I haven't tried a jig yet.

The Keitech Model 2 Football I mentioned is tungsten. The 1/2oz is smaller than a 3/8 lead head. The feel is absolutely unparalleled. They're great jigs when the bite is tough. The skirts are awesome, but the hook is pretty light. At $5.59 they're pricey, but they sure catch fish. The Model 1 is more of a casting jig with a little larger profile and a much beefier hook.

I've tried Eco Pro Litner Footballs and Lethal Weapon Drag Queens too. They're a little bigger - Lethal Weapon is mostly lead with a tungsten plate on the backside where the bait makes contact with the bottom and has an internal rattle in the head, which is a cool feature.

Thumbs, I suspect you're using the same locally produced jigs that I am, and you're dead right about the paint coming off. That used to not be an issue because all of their jigs (or darn near all) had the antique gold paint. For some reason, they don't use it anymore. Cost savings? I don't know but I'm like you ... about ready to look for another brand. I know Jewel uses that antique gold paint on their football jig heads and maybe their Eakins jigs, too. It's a dull black paint with small gold chips in it. Matches up pretty well with just about any skirt color.

ClassActionTransparent.png

I was using BassX Jigs and I do like them because they have a more than fair price per jig and great color selection but I found their hooks to be a little too light for my taste. The paint comes off the heads rather quickly but that doesn't bother me much. Needed a jig with a little more stout of a hook and I needed to load up on some so I figured I'd give Bo and NuTech a shot for my business. Trying to keep more money local/regional/American these days.

Looking on the NuTech website, I don't see any spider-cut (finesse) skirts. Talking about the Eakins jig-type skirt where the skirt is cut to make a collar around the head. Is that an option?

ClassActionTransparent.png