Big M, Friday

Quillback

post-720-0-69109800-1428709335.jpg

The numbers game was back on today. Mainly catching fish off points and a few rocky ledges. The fish were a little deeper today, most coming from 10-20 FOW. I caught 6 or 7 on a Menace Grub/Swing jig, and close to 40 on the 1/8 oz PBJ Ned. Don't know exactly how many keeper sized, but probably 12-15. Nothing over 3 lbs. Mostly spots, maybe 10 LM's and one smallie.

Really paid to bounce points today, whether they were gravel, rock, or rock/timber. If they are there, usually you'll get one within the first 5 casts. And if you get one, there are more there. Keep fishing until the bites stop.

Spent some time talking to Bo from Nutech a while back about Texas rigging. Took some of his advice and used it on some swing jig modifications. I clipped the EWG hooks off some of my swing jigs, added a split ring, and attached a 60 degree 3/0 Mustad jig hook. I add a hitchhiker to the hook eye, twist the Menace Grub onto the hitchhiker, then Texpose the hook point. When you get a bite, this prevents the fish from pulling the plastic down onto the hook bend and, at least today, gave me a much better hook up ratio than I was having using an EWG. Didn't catch a lot of Menace Grub fish today, but what bites I got, I converted to fish in the boat (still missed a couple, but it was better than I was doing earlier this week).

Best bite was from 11 AM to 2 PM. Lots of boats out there today, I think tomorrow if you plan on fishing you'd better bring your own brush pile.

Surface temps 57-59. water is murky but very fishable.

great idea on using a hitch hiker Quill. i'll make some up in the shop and try them out. I.ve been using a VMC ewg zbend hook and havent had much trouble with the plastic getting pulled down on the hook but Bo's idea is fool proof.

great idea on using a hitch hiker Quill. i'll make some up in the shop and try them out. I.ve been using a VMC ewg zbend hook and havent had much trouble with the plastic getting pulled down on the hook but Bo's idea is fool proof.

And versatile. Less to carry, other than a few extra hooks.

I took your advice Jeff and brought my own brushpile Saturday. Had it in the back of my truck. Stopped for gas/snacks and when I came out of the store, two guys at the next gas pump over had crawled up in their boat and were throwing jigs at my truck.

ClassActionTransparent.png

I took your advice Jeff and brought my own brushpile Saturday. Had it in the back of my truck. Stopped for gas/snacks and when I came out of the store, two guys at the next gas pump over had crawled up in their boat and were throwing jigs at my truck.

I should have mentioned that you also have to attach a sign to it that reads: 'Secret Brushpile - Do not fish!'. That stops the guys at the gas stations and restaurants from throwing lures at your truck.