Ned Rig Setup Questions

My two main rods are both med/hvy, and I have two ultra lights for trout & crappie. So, I have also been considering a middle ground set up just for the ned. 

Problem is, I have an old Shakespeare medium just sitting in the corner and I have a problem throwing it out so... probably just gonna snag a reel for it and call it close enough. 

1 hour ago, JF660R said:

My two main rods are both med/hvy, and I have two ultra lights for trout & crappie. So, I have also been considering a middle ground set up just for the ned. 

Problem is, I have an old Shakespeare medium just sitting in the corner and I have a problem throwing it out so... probably just gonna snag a reel for it and call it close enough. 

Old 6' Shakespeare rods are actually what Ned throws, or was. Not sure if he still has some that are intact.

Tad bit on the cringe worthy side, but it goes to the point that it is a simple way to fish.

2 hours ago, MOPanfisher said:

I also based mine on Daves reccomendations and had fully intended to buy a St. CRoix Eyecon, But BPS didn't have one in stock to handle and feel and I don't buy a new/different rod I can't handle before hand.  So I ended up with a St Croix 6'6" medium light fast action rod they did have, paired it with the Pfleuger reel, 30 size but memory is hazy on that.  Haven't done squat with it as far as Ned fishing, but it has turned into a fabulous walleye jig rod and back up crappie rod.  Currently spooled with 8 lb. Powe Pro and a 6# P Line leader.  Of course I also bought  Whopper Plopper and have never even take it out of he box, think it might be in the creek box.

The Eyecon is easier to find at Cabelas, but I have seen them at BPS in Springfield.

A St Croix Premier in ML is similar. Same grade graphite, little different taper, heavier in hand than the Eyecon.

I will say that I am a bit anal about the balance of a rod.  I make lead weights and attach them so that it balances right in front of the reel seat.  Amazing how changing the balance changes the entire feel of the rod.

When I build a rod, I do the same thing by using epoxy to glue weight in the butt to make sure the balance is right at the trigger finger.

Just now, rps said:

When I build a rod, I do the same thing y using epoxy to glue weight in the butt to make sure the balance is right at the trigger finger.

It is amazing how it changes a rod.  I have some I didn't really like and got to messing with weighting the butt and now use them quite a bit.  Eevn an 8 footer, ,took a fair amount of weight but the balance more than offsets the extra weight.

The actual weight of the rod has far less to do with effort and control than the balance of the rod. Pardon the history teacher reference, but swords were the same way. The large pommel on the sword was meant to balance the heavy blade and make it more maneuverable and less tiring.

Yep, and swords were.weighted differently depending on intended use.  Heavy bladed weight forward designs were intended to provide momentum to cut through armor and bone.  Many folks bought yiu had to have a heavy blade until better balanced blades became popular and we're very successful due to the speed they could be deployed and a second strike delivered.  Near perfect examples are the superb katanas.  Is there any topic we can't change direction on?

3 hours ago, aarchdale@coresleep.com said:

Im using  Fenwick Aetos 7'6" with a Diawa Procyon. 10lb braid to 6lb flouro.   I love it, can really cast a mile with it

I've been looking at the Aetos, as an extra Ned rod, or in a heavier action as a multi purpose stick. Can't quite get past the minimal seat. Those make me feel like I am constantly squeezing the rod. Good to hear you like yours. Fenwicks are kind of a tough find.