Quick Estes/RMNP Trip

ness

Way back in July I gave my wife a birthday gift of a fall trip to Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park. We've both been there many times, but never in the fall. I happened to mention this plan to a friend who has a second home in Estes Park and he offered up his place as he wasn't going to be there the time frame we were talking about. Sweet!

Since teachers only get a few personal days a year, and can't just use them any old time they want during the school year (something about getting substitute teachers, etc. Geez.) it was a little tricky to get this set up. But, she got her request in early and got Thursday and Friday of last week off. Since it was going to be a 4-day trip we opted to fly, saving about 10-12 hours in travel time. 

Rolled into the Estes around 1:30 PM on Thursday. Just outside of town we saw a bunch of bighorn sheep:

15B57719-1DFB-4633-A986-B88181D33CEE.jpeg

They’re relatively rare so this was a treat for us. 

The house is right on the banks of the Big Thompson River on the south side of town. After getting our stuff unloaded we headed out the back door to check things out. The stream directly behind the house is a sweet little stretch. A few big boulders strewn about with several nice looking spots all accessible from the bank. Within a few casts with a stimulator I had a good rainbow come up out of the depths and take my fly. I lifted my rod, felt the resistance, then the slack. Dang it! The whole thing took about 1/2 second. Went on to catch a small brown before calling it quits. No pic, but here’s me in the back yard:

image.png

Went on into the park the next day and I says to my self, ‘Johnny, you always catch the big fish. How about you do like @Johnsfolly and target some micros?’ Well, of course I was successful. Caught this beauty in Fall River:

image.png

‘‘Tis the season where elk migrate down and the bulls gather up a harem and make whoopie. They were everywhere. Here’s a couple shotsof some cows crossing with a bull in hot pursuit:

5E094283-ED4D-4D73-8432-293E6B56F497.jpeg

4A6043E5-82F6-4470-8283-385357F6CE49.jpeg

John

Carrying on a couple family traditions:

At The Stanley:

F128A348-5F65-4DC4-8818-B897834F463F.jpeg

The people sitting there thought I was an idiot. Which I suppose I am 😄

Another tradition:

3502C708-F562-4959-BD2D-F337B73482DF.jpeg

Lotsa spectacular scenery of course:

6F05B6D0-9E16-4D60-A4DD-AE41C09ADBED.jpeg

8CC0DEC8-FA15-423A-B1C2-965A84621E03.jpeg

B8C21B84-E107-47CB-A63B-3FFBFEE9F274.jpeg

A little more fishing down from the house yielded about a half dozen takes with quick releases. Frustrating! One was a good sized rainbow that was at my feet when I fumbled for the net and bungled it. The catch of the day was this foul hooked sucker: :D 

28BCB61B-8CE7-460D-8B42-2E6643249A21.jpeg

All-in-all a great trip. Got to hear elk bugling for the first time. Lots of wildlife and great scenery. Beautiful weather. Some R&R. A little fishing sprinkled in. A little early for the fall colors though. 

John

5 minutes ago, ness said:

Went on into the park the next day and I says to my self, ‘Johnny, you always catch the big fish. How about you do like @Johnsfolly and target some micros?’ Well, of course I was successful. Caught this beauty in Fall River:

3F29A5F5-DD12-4E25-95F6-03D40F283A31.jpeg

Pretty little non-native brown trout! About the size of those "trophy native trout" @BilletHead catches ;)!