The flys that you are forever tying ?

57 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

I have a bunch of foam cylinders in crazy colors that I ordered before I learned to just get WHITE and color them with a marker.    They make great bobbers for Midge fishing.  👍

Me too. White is all you really need but I have had some love on yellow. I only carry one or two colors of any fly anymore. If they aren’t that interested I’ll just take some photos. 

14 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Laker sent some special rare yarn years ago. I don’t think it works any better, but it is still special. Anybody have any kapok? Looks like I’m out.

I have a bunch of that Gary Lafontaine special tri-lobal antron that supposedly you can't get anymore.   It was only sold through a book club or some crazy thing and was expensive as hell.  I just HAD to have it.   Does anybody use that stuff?  If so I'd love to trade it for something I can use.

33 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Laker sent some special rare yarn years ago. I don’t think it works any better, but it is still special. Anybody have any kapok? Looks like I’m out.

that stuff used to be red hot in the 70's and 80'. now it seems just kind of average compared to other egg pattern materials. Did you tie those streamers you sent?  I caught many a bass on those. thanks

I'm often tying up Microjigs in gold (for trout), silver (sometimes for trout), black (for Redears), and chartreuse (for bass, bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and crappies).  They catch a lot of fish, and eventually the hooks tend to break.

For Largemouth Bass, its blockhead poppers or Howitzer head poppers, and Gamechangers.

For Smallmouth Bass, its blockhead poppers, Gamechangers, and Pearl Shiners, and bh chartreuse mylar buggers.

For White Bass, its chartreuse over white marabou Clousers.

For Hybrid Striped Bass, its 2-tone standard Clousers...colors vary.

For Carp and Smallmouth Buffalo, its John Montana's Hybrid Carp Fly and variants.

For Hybrid Sunfish, its #10 or #8 black woolly buggers or simi-seal leeches.

So, several years ago, we are staying at RRResort in one of their new cabins for the trout season opener. Had a fine meal and we were sitting around the big table when one of the older Dad's in the group gets out his newest fly boxes. He doesn't tie but usually pays for the necessary materials for his nephew to tie for him. As he was showing off all of his latest additions to his fly box, I asked him what this one particular pattern was. His response was"that's the egg pattern that Susie catches all those fish on". And I replied "no it's not, it's the wrong color." I had a UV light for curing some Loon products and showed him the difference in the old material and the new UV yarn. His nephew was trying to get me to drop the conversation but it just wasn't going to happen. Next thing, Danny gets out his box of newly tied scuds. Again I asked "what are those scuds". He replied" those are those awesome possum scud patterns that you've been tying". Here we go again as I replied that's not the color we've been catching them on. Either color of those patters would've caught fish. Now the nephew is scrambling to come up with the excuses for tying a bunch of flies in the wrong colors. We ended up walking thru the woods about 100 yards to Tim's so I could help Danny get the "right " colors. He bought several packages of each material and a new fly box.  He also told the nephew to fill the new box with flies. Sometimes the things we don't tie end up biting one in the fanny.