3/25 Fishing Report

Ham

I had errands to attend to, but I was determined to get back out on the water. I knew I could abuse a bunch of trout, but this is crappie and White Bass time. I knew BSL and Norfork had both come up a bunch lately, but I was determined. I mentally arm wrestled for a while, but decided to load up Waldo and head to Norfork. I had a short day, but was gonna try.
I launched pretty far up the creek arm and ran up lake. I stopped in a cove that I have a little history in. It was muddy full of floating debris and water temp was 56. I tried for panfish, but got no love. I tried for bass and got one jarring strike, but no hookups. I did managed to dip up a floating herbicide container, a boat bumper, a Keystone Light can, and a floating tennis shoe. 
There was a large, bloated cow floating too, but it was too large for my net. 
 I ran to some transition banks hoping to crank up some bass. I really believe it would have worked too, but you could not complete a cast with all the floating wood. 
So, I decided to run way up Bennett’s Bayou. Since I have a jet, I ran up until I was absolutely out of water. Inches of muddy cold water that had a lot of current. Perfect! 
I had run past a guy out fishing with his kids on The way up river. He claimed he was catching a few small fish which was encouraging ; I was starting to think I would zero. 
I re-rigged a couple of rods. Black and blue Ned on one. Black and Chartreuse 1/16 oz Zig Jig on another. I already had a little swim bait one rod. 
I started fishing little areas with less current very slowly and deliberately. About the third little place I tried, I got a sharp tap on the Zig Zig. That small male White Bass was the most important fish to me in the world right then. A minute later I got a short LMB and then another. 
another area and another few bites. Whites and LMB. I did finally get one lonely Spotted Bass. 
My 9 th fish was a 16 plus inch “Yellow” sucker. That thing pulled in the current. 
I kept fishing , refining lures and location. I got tired of fighting wind and currents. I found a good root-wad to tie up to and a good concentration of fish. My fears of zeroing quickly changed to hopes for a 50 burger. My first fish was caught at 2:25 pm and I was ending my trip at 4:45 pm.  
I had real steady bites from male whites, but the girls were not playing. A few LMB but too. Sadly, I lost a couple of lures to fish ( I should have re-tied) and I missed some bites of course I had a few pull off too. 
I caught one on my last cast. My alarm went off as I was releasing a fish. I finished up with 61. 
 It was a Good Day and a Good Mental reset from current events. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

35 minutes ago, Riverwhy said:

I’m headed down tomorrow with the grandkids.  I sure can’t get into the skinny water with the pontoon but might try to find a fish or two.  Thank you for the report Ham.

A guy in a Bass Cat Cougar was further up than where I caught these. He said he had 5-7 foot the whole way. Look at google earth to get a feel for the channel and run above the bridge. Find the end of the harder flow and stop right there. With any luck, the lake will have creasted and lots of the debris will drop out on the bank. 

2 minutes ago, nomolites said:

Your boat deck looks like mine....couple rods...RIGHT.

Mike

I think I had 6 baitcasters and 6 or 7 spinning rods. Traveling light. Dummy me forget my crappie jigging poles on The day I needed them the most.