Night fishing advice needed 12-10

fmcbrandon

That's some real good advice about the water coming up without warning. If you fish more than a half mile below the dam it will be difficult or impossible to hear the horn. I know there is a number to call to give real time water generation, but I do not have it. The handicap access near the mouth of the white has some real good looking water. Netboy knows this stretch well. It's dark, I will tell you that. Good luck and be safe.

4 hours ago, fmcbrandon said:

I will be down tonight and was hoping to get some sage advice.  We are planning on doing some wading and see what we can get into.  Any spots or tips would be welcome.  Also, water levels input is greatly appreciated.

Best place on the norfork for night wading is the dam.  But going without seeing the area in daylight is not wise.   Don’t get in anywhere you can’t back out quickly.  

You ain't kidding about the water coming up fast! I was down there back in January wading from the handicap access up to the island and never heard the horn blow. My buddy was a little ways downstream from me and he noticed it had started to rise. By the time we headed back down to the access the water had come up to my waist. It was at shin level when we entered the water. So yeah, be careful at night because it does come up really fast!

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

2 hours ago, ollie said:

You ain't kidding about the water coming up fast! I was down there back in January wading from the handicap access up to the island and never heard the horn blow. My buddy was a little ways downstream from me and he noticed it had started to rise. By the time we headed back down to the access the water had come up to my waist. It was at shin level when we entered the water. So yeah, be careful at night because it does come up really fast!

You can’t hear the horn at handicap unless the wind is just right.   You’re lucky you didn’t get into a bad spot.  

25 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

You can’t hear the horn at handicap unless the wind is just right.   You’re lucky you didn’t get into a bad spot.  

You can't hear it at McClellan's either. Several years back Kdan and I were fishing downstream of the waterfall. It came up so fast that he was unable to get back across. I rented a boat at the dock and luckily the guy there drove it down and picked him up. It is a long walk to civilization on that side of the creek. Norfork can be difficult and unsafe with rising water.

16 minutes ago, laker67 said:

You can't hear it at McClellan's either. Several years back Kdan and I were fishing downstream of the waterfall. It came up so fast that he was unable to get back across. I rented a boat at the dock and luckily the guy there drove it down and picked him up. It is a long walk to civilization on that side of the creek. Norfork can be difficult and unsafe with rising water.

If you rely on the horn even at the dam you're foolish.  10 fold at night!.  You should watch the water level yourself.  I've camped at McC's dozens if not over a hundred times.  Unless the wind is perfect you won't hear it.  Even then, relying on that is asking for trouble.  They'll find you feet up down around Calico Rock.  Another thing.  If the fishing turns on like crazy you better watch out.  That's what happens right before the flow increases.  I think the trout hear the water coming or something.

1 hour ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

If you rely on the horn even at the dam you're foolish.  10 fold at night!.  You should watch the water level yourself.  I've camped at McC's dozens if not over a hundred times.  Unless the wind is perfect you won't hear it.  Even then, relying on that is asking for trouble.  They'll find you feet up down around Calico Rock.  Another thing.  If the fishing turns on like crazy you better watch out.  That's what happens right before the flow increases.  I think the trout hear the water coming or something.

That is good observation Pete.