To rattle, or not to rattle

Sitting in my shop currently, getting things ready for my chance at the hourly money tomorrow, and pulled out the 30 or so jigs still in the packages. There are 5 or so with rattles, the rest without. I’m typically a rattleless guy, but have caught a few over the years with rattles, especially once the crawdads get active. 

So, if you use rattles on your jigs, when is that time for you? What determines when you use it? Also, do you always use a trailer with your jig, or go bareback at times?

TinBoats BassClub.  An aluminum only bass club. If interested in info send me a PM. 

My 2 cents....Personally I think a rattle attracts fish, I don’t believe it turns them off unless you’re fishing a greatly pressured fishery. Most craw crank baits rattle and are killer in pre spawn.

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

100% always with a trailer, maybe even greater than 100% if it was possible. 

if gin clear and I’m after a reaction maybe no rattle. If it’s clearish rattle in the trailer. Dirty (less than 12”) rattle on the jig. 

I like to shove a glass worm rattle in each claw of a Guido Bug crawdad, or a Zoom critter craw.

The noise doesn't hurt, and that little bit of extra weight in each one of those claws makes for some killer action that no other jig trailer duplicates.    

On worms I don't think just one rattle stuck in there does much for ya.  But a 10" worm with 4-5 of them in it.....Now you're doing something. 👍

Smallmouth like to come investigate rattling and clicking stuff.  3-4 lb. smallmouth can get you in the money.

I like a clicker on my c-rig weights too, sometimes pausing the c-rig and just shaking the weight can get bites.