WTB new nymph setup, What are you using?

Krazo

I'm wanting to get a new fly rod n reel setup specifically for euro style nymphing.  Id like at least 9' but maybe a 10'+ rod or so and prob in a 2 or 3 wt. but maybe a 4.  Anyone here nymphing like this regularly and what is your preferred rod, length and weight?   Any suggestions for a rod in the 5-700 range.  

I like my 10’ 4pc 5wt Sage Z-Axis, I like it so much it has 3 tips. I have no idea what is currently on the market, but it will Chuck heavy nymph rigs and hook fish at 60-70’ if you can control your drift at that range.

I don't fish euro  style much, but I have a cortland "Nymph" 10'6"  weight euro nypmhing rod. It's in your price range $600.00. Like the rod, also use it for super long leader indicator fishing during high generation. 

I hear ya, "high sticking"  get's my arm tired pretty quick, even with a 9' :)

@dpitt  Are you using a regular DT or WF line?  I've not used a euro nymph specific line but its suppose to be thinner and I assume would handle differently.  and I would imagine that rod would handle significantly different with a WF line.  How long of a leader are you using when you run an indicator setup like you mentioned?  

@Gavin what type of line are you using and how does the rod handle that?  5wt really larger than what I see for most euro rods, I assume the Z-Axis series was more of a general purpose rod?  And why all the tips?  each one serve a different purpose or you break some? 

Im thinking 9' is the longest rod I have and its a 6wt, fairly fast action.  It works ok but Im looking for something that has more sensitivity in a lower wt.  honestly I think i'll need to buck up more cash to get what I want.  I need a fly shop that would let me test drive some of these.  

Any thoughts on TFO fly rods?  I thought there was some connection between TFO and Gary Loomis but I dont know what it was.  Anyway, I found a few TFO euro style rods for a decent price, really it was a kit, rod, reel, line for like 350.  

I have some experience with their spinning rods, and the warranty.  no complaints.  all the ones I have are good rods, all light or UL action.

For euronymphing you really don't need a fly line at all, a 25'-35' leader will likely be more than enough distance and the mono won't weigh the rod down as you try to keep it off the water. I went through my nymphing stage about 1980 doing essentially the same things the euros do with a 9' fiberglass rod and Joe Humphreys' flat mono "Cobra" as line. Some guys in California Ted Fay and Ted Towendolly influenced my fishing just about the time Humphreys wrote his book "Trout Tactics" with a lot of emphasis on his version of nymphing and for a year or two I was tight lining for trout a few times every week. https://gbflycasters.org/Library_articles/Eric Palmer/Towendolly-Oct-2017.pdf

You can probably not keep more than 1 1/2 rod lengths of line in the air with no sag as you make the drift, so a longer rod is helpful, but, the longer rods are a lever working against your hand and wrist, so personally 10' would be my limit, or more likely a 9'6" and wade a little closer. I won't make any rod recommendations because I'm still using 40-50 year old rods and methods. 

Here is a site that has most of the answers to most of your questions, if you are interested  in mono rigging and tight lining-  https://troutbitten.com/the-mono-rig/  and a link o another of his articles (follow the in text links to more of his articles, it's a bunch of reading) - https://troutbitten.com/2020/06/07/tight-line-and-euro-nymphing-leading-vs-tracking-vs-guiding/

@fishinwrench Big reel and a 1000yards of backing. ;)