Clouser Swimming Nymph for Bass ?????

mic

42 minutes ago, kjackson said:

Yes, that is a Polly Rosburough pattern-- I think I have a few tucked away. He was innovative, and I think he developed the dubbing loop.  Most of his patterns were a bit too fussy for me,  but he did result in me picking up a lifetime supply of Nymo thread.

Well you're one up on Me, because I didn't even know "Polly" was a man.

Who names their male child Polly ?   

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

The Soarkleminnow works better than a Clouser Minnow or Wooly Bugger. 

For Smallies I'd agree.

The Sparkleminnow pattern got ruined when guys started using wire "dubbing brushes".   

I can't explain why, but the original G.C. way of building them is noticably better.    Nevertheless I can't make one outfish a Clouser minnow for Whites/hybrids/mutts.    There's something about the transparency, and rate of fall, that makes a Clouser minnow practically unbeatable for temperates.

30 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I used to fish with GC, he showed me the how too. Need to call him

We talk/message through FB almost daily.  

22 minutes ago, Gavin said:

A puglisi tie will outfish a clouser if they want shad

Not in my back yard it won't.  In the time it takes a Puglisi baitfish concoction to reach 6' I'll already have 3 in the boat on the Clouser.   

26 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

We talk/message through FB almost daily.  

Not in my back yard it won't.  In the time it takes a Puglisi baitfish concoction to reach 6' I'll already have 3 in the boat on the Clouser.   

Tell that old knucklehead I said hello.  Still fish and float out of his old Dagger canoe all the time.   Love that boat.  And he is one of the best fly tiers I've ever been around.  Gavin is a close second.  🤣

16 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Ran into a guy on one of the boards I follow who also is named Polly. He's Welsh, so maybe the name is a UK thing.  

I pulled out the two Rosborough (finally checked the spelling) books to look again at the flies. The second book has quite a few emerger patterns and some good general-use flies. There are several I'd tie if I was fishing for trout.  

Looking at the first book (published by Orvis in 1969), Rosborough did a good job on dubbing and collecting of same. He had a section on shearing and prepping a muskrat hide for use in dubbing, and he mentioned how he would go to a pet groomers to collect poodle hair for dubbing. 

18 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Polly was a nick name, I have no idea why or how  Ernest Herbert Rosborough didn't become an "Ernie" or a "Herbie" but the "Polly" (short for Molly, which is short for Mary) was a Registered Trademark image.php?serial=74262156

I tied a bunch of Casual Dress back in the'80s and haven't since then, can't recall if they didn't work for me or if they were just displaced by some other pattern. I may tie a few just for grins.