Rabbit Hunt

slabstacker

• Members

Quail numbers seem to be down bad around the areas I typically hunt them. Plenty of rabbits to go after though! My little Brittany dog will point rabbits as hard as she does birds and it works out pretty well, she will find and point the area the rabbit is in and then I’ll go around the side and send her in and she will bump it out. Made a quick walk down a drainage in a small price of public land and she pointed 4 rabbits and I was able to bag two of them. Pretty good time and I sure do like eating those things!

39AE5500-4361-4390-B570-668C2FAE892C.jpeg

13 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I should eat a few from yard.  Organic flower fed.  Should be good eatin.  😆

I've never had bunny that didn't just melt in your mouth. 

I was always told to never eat one before the first hard frost, and to always check the liver for white specks.      No idea why, but I never found one to have any specks or spots on it.  

14 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

I was always told to never eat one before the first hard frost, and to always check the liver for white specks.      No idea why, but I never found one to have any specks or spots on it.  

Tularemia.

30 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

Tularemia.

You ever found one to be infected?  

I kinda think that was something from back in the depression days.   Kinda like rabies.    I haven't heard of any animal with rabies, or even suspected of having it, since I was a small child.   

A little girl was on her way home from school and carrying a cupcake. As she was passing our house our liver&white bird dog went out to greet her.....so she held her cupcake up as high as she could, which just happened to be within perfect reach.   The dog swiped her cupcake and the brat totally flipped out, started screaming, ran home and told her momma that our dog attacked her.   Her parents showed up with 4 police officers demanding that we have the dog tested for rabies 🙄  Not a single mark whatsoever on the kid, mind you. 

So dad calls the vet and 2 of the cops go with him to have Lindy checked out.  The vet takes a bucket of water out to the truck, and Lindy immediately gets a drink.  The vet looks at the cops and says "She's fine, LEAVE HER ALONE and buy her a donut when you go get yourself one". 😂

9 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

That’s the rule we followed.  Actually we mostly hunted them in the dead of winter.    Good times.   Never used dogs.   We took turns being the dog. 😂.  Rabbit rostida and polenta!!!   

Never looked at the liver or any of the rabbit innards for that matter.  Did the deal where you squeeze them from about the front shoulder, work your way about halfway down the bunny and the give them a whipcrack move.  The guts fly out.

If I could turn my clock back about 30 years, I would seriously consider getting a beagle or two.  

11 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

You ever found one to be infected?  

I kinda think that was something from back in the depression days.   Kinda like rabies.    I haven't heard of any animal with rabies, or even suspected of having it, since I was a small child.   

A little girl was on her way home from school and carrying a cupcake. As she was passing our house our liver&white bird dog went out to greet her.....so she held her cupcake up as high as she could, which just happened to be within perfect reach.   The dog swiped her cupcake and the brat totally flipped out, started screaming, ran home and told her momma that our dog attacked her.   Her parents showed up with 4 police officers demanding that we have the dog tested for rabies 🙄  Not a single mark whatsoever on the kid, mind you. 

So dad calls the vet and 2 of the cops go with him to have Lindy checked out.  The vet takes a bucket of water out to the truck, and Lindy immediately gets a drink.  The vet looks at the cops and says "She's fine, LEAVE HER ALONE and buy her a donut when you go get yourself one". 😂

Never found one that was infected that I know of.