Michigan Record for a Burbot

I've never seen one in person, but have fished a lake in Ontario numerous times where my buddy, years before, used to catch them off the dock at night.

They are a neat fish.  Really look more like a snakehead on overall body shape, than, say, a bowfin.  My opinion.

The angler looks less than thrilled to have caught it. :)  He looks familiar, but I can't place where I've seen him before.  Great fisherman, obviously!

BB1hg3yp.img?w=1920&h=1080&q=60&m=2&f=jp

I've seen pics of some where the fish has a much more mottled appearance.. Beautiful!  Kinda sorta looks like an oversized salamander.

burbot-fishing-booms-2.png

32 minutes ago, Quillback said:

Looks a lot like a ling cod.  And I believe they are somewhat related to lings.  

They are basically the freshwater version of the ling, aka. hake.

Caught just one of the buggers when I lived in Washington, and that's surprising as I pretty much lived on a lake where they were found. As I recall--this was like 30 years ago-- it was not a species I would pursue specifically. The one I landed was about eight pounds or so, somewhat slimy and not as good as walleye in the pan; I caught it on a jigging spoon. If I bothered to take a photo of it, the slide is buried in 20 years of other slides.

The WA state record for burbot is 17.37 pounds. 

5 hours ago, Quillback said:

Caught one yet?  Has to be a tough one to get on the species count.

Not Yet. There are some guides in Minn and other Northern tier states that ice fish for burbot when they go into the shallower waters to spawn. I believe that its Walker Minn that has an Eel Pout festival in the winter Jan/Feb? Seems like a Sturgis bike rally meets drunk ice-fishing event😉

11 minutes ago, AR Huzgr said:

Looks like a cousin to the dogfish.

They are in the cod family. Here is a cusk that I caught up in New Hampshire last summer and a ling (red hake) from New Jersey both are related to the burbot.

Cusk CP - Eastman - Seakbrook NH - 14Aug23.jpg

Red Hake Ocean Explorer 27Mar21.jpg

4 hours ago, Johnsfolly said:

Not Yet. There are some guides in Minn and other Northern tier states that ice fish for burbot when they go into the shallower waters to spawn. I believe that its Walker Minn that has an Eel Pout festival in the winter Jan/Feb? Seems like a Sturgis bike rally meets drunk ice-fishing event😉

Brrrr....no way I'm ice fishing in Minnesota in Jan/Feb.