Lake Texoma in November

ollie

Headed over to Texoma to visit with family that will be coming up from southern Texas. Going to stay at a VRBO on the lake or I should say a block away from the lake. Either way access will be easy enough. I hear the striper bit is pretty good in the fall down there but have no idea where to begin other than where we will be. I will probably bring the yak along so I can go out when the wife wants to hit the flea market booths. Anyone fish Texoma before? If so how would you describe it? Might actually hire a guide this time around. I have never used a guide before and never thought I really needed one until now. Only because the lake is pretty good sized from what I remember when I did see it several years back. We are staying over by Juniper Point if that helps. Thanks

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

Huge water, but not a deep lake. Most of the striper fishing I have done on that lake was trolling. Boring as heck but a fun fish to catch. White bass, or sand bass down there, are abundant and will get up on top in the afternoons. Usually some small stripers mixed in with them. 

A guide for a day would be a good idea. 

I had heard it was fairly shallow and a lot of timber I thought. I have hooked onto a couple of wipers down on Grand while fishing for whites and man they can fight hard! That is what I am looking for down there. I know I am going to keep an eye out for gulls as well.

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

Many years ago a friend and I hired a guide for a weekend down there.  Stripers on Saturday and smallmouth on Sunday.  

He had a big bait tank with fresh shad that he'd caught that morning, he knew about where the schools were.  We'd motor around find a school, get up wind and drift a live shiner through the school.  We caught a bunch, but nothing big.  We also caught several catfish that were in with the stripers.

The smallmouth was live bait as well.  We'd motor into a cove and throw a live shad to cover, watch your line.  No wt, just tight lining.  Wasn't the most fun fishing, but we sure caught some nice smallies.  We pulled into one cove with a really nice BIG house and boat dock that he said belong to Ross Perot.  He dipped out a few shad and would throw them, in a high arc, towards the dock, they would get hammered as soon as they hit the water.  He said he was feeding his pets.  We caught several pushing 4 lbs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I fish Texoma regularly. A few options, vertical fish with live bait & circle hooks / jig with a spoon or troll A-rigs. If the birds are actively hitting the water, the action will be fast. You can throw a silver spoon - sassy shad - top water.  It is a deep water reservoir , take a rain suit for the spray. It can be very dangerous if you aren’t in a Deep V due to the high rollers. Wind is brutal there and can make it impossible to fish. I used Sparkys guide service once. 

bigger fish were caught trolling. Use 30# braid for this. Good luck!