Big M area, 16 and 17 October

Quillback

Fished 2 days in a row, something I usually don't do when fishing Table Rock with the one-hour drive added to the fishing time, it makes for a couple of long days.

Yesterday the fishing was pretty good, so with a similar weather forecast I thought today would fish just as well, but it did not.  Caught 17 yesterday, with 4 keepers, but just 8 today with only one keeper.  A 7/16 oz finesse jig made by the Dutch Manufacturing Company, Republic MO, was my best bait with a few on a 3.3 Keitech and a few on the c-rigged craw.

Fish are up shallow, chasing little one inch shad and small craws.  I can't catch anything deeper that about 10 feet.  

Very little top water activity.

Even with the frosty mornings the water temp is hanging in there at 71.

large.oct17spot.jpg

Hey glad you got out.  We fished Stockton.  It was white capping when we arrived.  The caps turned into rollers before the day was over.  We caught a bunch of 14-14.5” largemouth and several smallmouth.  My coppertruse was the best bait.  If we were more than 2’ off the bank we couldn’t get a bite.

2 hours ago, Quillback said:

Fished 2 days in a row, something I usually don't do when fishing Table Rock with the one-hour drive added to the fishing time, it makes for a couple of long days.

Yesterday the fishing was pretty good, so with a similar weather forecast I thought today would fish just as well, but it did not.  Caught 17 yesterday, with 4 keepers, but just 8 today with only one keeper.  A 7/16 oz finesse jig made by the Dutch Manufacturing Company, Republic MO, was my best bait with a few on a 3.3 Keitech and a few on the c-rigged craw.

Fish are up shallow, chasing little one inch shad and small craws.  I can't catch anything deeper that about 10 feet.  

Very little top water activity.

Even with the frosty mornings the water temp is hanging in there at 71.

large.oct17spot.jpg

Those spots are nice there. Fatties for sure. 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

10 hours ago, stinger160 said:

Dutch, any advice on driving in rollers?  I’d like to try Stockton but the effect of wind worries me.

Go into them if possible.  Go slow.  Try to keep from being sideways.  I have a 20’ boat and really don’t think much about it anymore.
The main thing I would recommend is decide what you want to do then pick then pick the part of the lake that fits your plan, listen to the weather forecast, also check wind finder, pick a ramp nearest the area you want to fish and don’t go if the wind is going to be above 15 mph.

22 minutes ago, Dutch said:

... don’t go if the wind is going to be above 15 mph.

I don't go (especially to Beaver) unless the wind is going to be AT LEAST 10-15 mph. But I'm a winder --- spinnerbait, crank bait, etc. I also have a 20-foot boat and I'll either go directly into the rollers or "quarter" across them, driving in a zig-zag line to wherever I'm going. That's only when they get pretty high. 

ClassActionTransparent.png

37 minutes ago, Champ188 said:

I don't go (especially to Beaver) unless the wind is going to be AT LEAST 10-15 mph. But I'm a winder --- spinnerbait, crank bait, etc. I also have a 20-foot boat and I'll either go directly into the rollers or "quarter" across them, driving in a zig-zag line to wherever I'm going. That's only when they get pretty high. 

I think we are talking about a 16’ aluminum boat here.  That is a whole different ballgame.  The wind at Stockton can get a two to three mile unimpeded run due to the lay of the land and a 15 mph can get hairy if one doesn’t know the lake and has a small boat.

8 hours ago, Champ188 said:

A 20 foot boat on Stockton just isn't enough when the wind is moving right. That lake can get you into trouble in a hurry. 

26 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

A 20 foot boat on Stockton just isn't enough when the wind is moving right. That lake can get you into trouble in a hurry. 

You bet. When I did a lot of white bass fishing.  I’ve been in some with my old Champion 206 that made my draw string pucker.

But if one is diligent and pays attention to the weather it can be a great place to go.