What's Cooking?

ness

I haven't spent any time in the deer woods this year :mellow:. So all of the opening weekend talk had me craving some venison. Pulled out a couple of round steaks and seasoned them with salt, pepper, and a southwest spice mixture. Grilled them in the grill pan and let them rest 10 minutes.

20181114_185411.jpg

I also cooked some cauliflower in chicken stock that I had heated with some dried hen of the woods mushrooms. Once tender, I put them in the blender and blended them until it was just shy of a puree.

20181114_190713.jpg

13 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

I haven't spent any time in the deer woods this year :mellow:. So all of the opening weekend talk had me craving some venison. Pulled out a couple of round steaks and seasoned them with salt, pepper, and a southwest spice mixture. Grilled them in the grill pan and let them rest 10 minutes.

20181114_185411.jpg

I also cooked some cauliflower in chicken stock that I had heated with some dried hen of the woods mushrooms. Once tender, I put them in the blender and blended them until it was just shy of a puree.

20181114_190713.jpg

You got the venison cooked just right John!

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

You game eaters are killing me! I have not hunted since my Father's knees gave out when he was teaching me when I was 10. I shot well while in the service but never translated that to hunting.

And so ... I put together a butternut soup recipe you might like.

http://www.ozarkrevenge.com/2018/11/slow-cooker-curried-butternut-apple-soup.html

18 hours ago, rps said:

You game eaters are killing me! I have not hunted since my Father's knees gave out when he was teaching me when I was 10. I shot well while in the service but never translated that to hunting.

And so ... I put together a butternut soup recipe you might like.

http://www.ozarkrevenge.com/2018/11/slow-cooker-curried-butternut-apple-soup.html

Butternut soup fan. I will try that one soon. As far as not having the wild stuff at your household I am sure a hunter in your area would share. I for one would gift you what I harvest so you could do your spin on it. 

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Had a loaf of freshould bread ready for the oven when I heard a shot, my wife's rifle is very recognizable.  Her 3rd deer down.  Made her wait until the bread was finished before I took tractor down to retrieve her and the deer, little 4pt.  Gonna be tasty.  Supper was a couple of some kind of fish fillets that we had bought, think they were Swai or something.  Wish I had been smart enough to put some walleye or crappie fillets on a cookie sheet to freeze and vac pack them individually so I don't have to eat them Swai things.  Tasty though.

2018-11-15 18.33.31.jpg

2 hours ago, MOPanfisher said:

Had a loaf of freshould bread ready for the oven when I heard a shot, my wife's rifle is very recognizable.  Her 3rd deer down.  Made her wait until the bread was finished before I took tractor down to retrieve her and the deer, little 4pt.  Gonna be tasty.  Supper was a couple of some kind of fish fillets that we had bought, think they were Swai or something.  Wish I had been smart enough to put some walleye or crappie fillets on a cookie sheet to freeze and vac pack them individually so I don't have to eat them Swai things.  Tasty though.

2018-11-15 18.33.31.jpg

That's s good looking loaf! Love the smell of fresh baked bread.

By the way your Mrs is a killer! Got to keep that one.

Looks good! Worked a short day and had some time to play with the girls, shovel out, shop, & cook. Boneless pork chops on sale, so decided to make Schnitzel. Pound the chops thin. Season with S&P, flour, egg wash, plain bread crumbs, then straight into a pan with an 1/8” of oil at 350. 2-3 minutes a side. Drain & rest a bit. Great with a wedge of fresh squeezed lemon.

9 hours ago, BilletHead said:

Butternut soup fan. I will try that one soon. As far as not having the wild stuff at your household I am sure a hunter in your area would share. I for one would gift you what I harvest so you could do your spin on it. 

BilletHead

I have a standing deal with my students - bring me a pound of ground venison and I add a pound of ground beef/pork. I make the chili and we split it. I only ask mild or spicy and beans/no beans.