Xi5 spotlock problem

Fishing Stockton a few weeks ago and TM suddenly stopped responding to pedal or fob.  Unplugged and restarted, and thereafter the unit would operate normally but there was no gps lock.  Repeated attempts to reacquire sat reception unsuccessful, so all spot lock features etc gone.  Had basic operation, which got me through the day, but I am missing spotlock.

Anyone experience this before or have knowledge of a fix?

Thank you and Merry Christmas 

Jim

Jim "The obsessions of others are opaque to the unobsessed, and thus easy to mock...If we are lucky we all have at least one."

What steps did you use to re calibrate the compass? Mine started doing the same thing you described and apparently I have been trying to re calibrate wrong.  I was looking at the little laminated card that has all the basic instructions on it.    The Laminated card says the hit M+111 on the remote but fails to mention that after you do that you need to drive your boat in 2 circles with the primary gas motor.   I havent been back out yet to try it but the very rude person i talked to from motorguide said that if you dont drive in 2 circles it wont re aquire the GPS signal

That sounds like the same calibration as the Lowrance Point 1 antenna.  If you have the option setting the map to north up is supposed to be the best way to get accurate calibration.

My first motor would not acquire a gps lock. Turned out to be a bad internal gps puck. MG sent me a new software up load which of course did not fix it. Took the thing back to BPS within the grace period after purchase, they swapped me out for a new one.

I haven't had any real trouble with it since. It doesn't like to spot lock under bridges real well, and sometimes while in course lock and cruise control it will just take off at full speed which is irritating, but all in all, I like it, I think it is the neatest thing since pockets on a shirt.

My money is on the GPS puck, for the fix. The software up grade was free and easy to do.   

One more thing...mine is not wired into any other equipment for navigation. 

She told me that if the calibration doesnt work then i woud have to get a new GPS module.  Hope it doesnt come to that im sure they arent cheap.  Right before my warranty was up my mother board went out.  Took them 3 months to get me a new one.  They even lied and told me they had shipped one, and then when i never got it they told me it was on back order.  It took a ton of phone calls and a lot of complaining before they randomly "found" one they could send me.      Their customer service is pretty poor in my experience

29 minutes ago, aarchdale@coresleep.com said:

She told me that if the calibration doesnt work then i woud have to get a new GPS module.  Hope it doesnt come to that im sure they arent cheap.  Right before my warranty was up my mother board went out.  Took them 3 months to get me a new one.  They even lied and told me they had shipped one, and then when i never got it they told me it was on back order.  It took a ton of phone calls and a lot of complaining before they randomly "found" one they could send me.      Their customer service is pretty poor in my experience

I agree. To bad lowrance, mercury, motorguide are in bed together. One call to any of those outfits and you will think of changing brands for sure.

Thanks guys I haven't tried to recalibrate yet.  If you see some fool driving around in circles one of these days you know who it is...

Jim

Jim "The obsessions of others are opaque to the unobsessed, and thus easy to mock...If we are lucky we all have at least one."

For what it's worth...To date, I haven't had any serious issues with my Xi5 but it does occasionally exhibit the same crazy antics Dan mentioned

when using the course lock/cruise control feature. It is easily corrected by shutting the unit off and then re-selecting the course and speed but it makes

one wonder what will happen next and will it be worse! 

I hope Jim reports back what he ends up doing to remedy his motor's issues. That info may save someone some time and money if/when it happens to them. 

Have a great New Year OAF,

OD 

• 2 weeks later...