Mizzou/Arkansas hoops

Quillback

Don't like it at all. Or, maybe I do. While MPJ elevates us immediately by sheer talent, my worries are as follows:

1, Georgia has already played and won.

2. Mizzou is in unchartered territory if he plays. With excruciating expectations and media scrutiny.

3. Scottrade Center and St Louis is a hellhole for the Tigers.

4. I believe our players on the court will not know what to do with him when he is playing. Like your friend running for class president.

5. Screw it. I'm going down there and buy tickets on the street and find out. What do I know?

6. Nothing. M I Z..!

It would be nice if KU and Mizzou were playing this week in KC like old days.    Some bracket projectors have them in same bracket.....   That would be fun.  I am a Michigan fan first, KU second, Arkansas close behind.     

It's going to be interesting, for sure.  It could go in a lot of different ways, both good and bad.  We might see MPJ as a point guard, since Geist is recovering from the flu.

Reading between the lines of Cuonzo's press conference, I don't think they practiced much even in the last few days with the idea that MPJ would be in the lineup.  So they haven't practiced for him to fit in.  What it sounds like to me is that it's pretty much up to MPJ what he does when he's in...whether he wants to try to score a lot or facilitate the other guys.  You wonder if Cuonzo has any idea what to do...this is uncharted territory.  Ideally, he goes in and puts up points and passes to the others to get points when he starts getting double-teamed, and sees 20-25 minutes.  Or he comes in, nothing is working, and Cuonzo takes him back out.  But there's going to be pressure to play him now no matter what.  And the other big question is whether he can be effective defensively.  The other players have all bought into Cuonzo's defensive intensity--will MPJ hold up his end?

Can't wait...this is going to be about the most scrutinized second round SEC tournament game ever, probably.

Martin interview comments:

What can Mizzou fans expect to see from Porter? Martin said he’ll play both on the perimeter as a two or three (shooting guard or small forward) or play inside at the four (power forward) but will also let him bring the ball up the floor and direct the offense. 

Porter’s addition gives the Tigers a prolific scoring threat but that’s not all, Martin said.

“I think he doesn’t get enough credit in my opinion as a defender,” Martin said. “Like most young guys coming out of high school there are things to work on defensively. With his length and athleticism, his ability to cover ground defensively … he’s 6-10 and he’s long … that is hard to go against when you’ve got multiple guys to go against with size and length. I think he can cover a lot of ground defensively. He can score the ball. He can go inside. He can go outside. He can make shots. He can put the ball on the floor. He brings a lot of dimensions to the game. But he’s a presence on the floor. So you have to identify him.”

Dang I just watched the recorded showing here on my DVR and that was a let down but, pretty much expected. His legs were not strong and totally makes sense after not playing ball for awhile...oh well that was your game, truly 1 and done.

I think Conzuo will recruit better than the last regime so I excited about their future.

1 hour ago, Smalliebigs said:

Dang I just watched the recorded showing here on my DVR and that was a let down but, pretty much expected. His legs were not strong and totally makes sense after not playing ball for awhile...oh well that was your game, truly 1 and done.

I think Conzuo will recruit better than the last regime so I excited about their future.

Nah, they SHOULD get into the Big Dance.  I was hoping for at least one win in the SEC tournament to remove all doubt, but everybody says they are solidly in.  So they get something like 10 days to get MPJ a little more ready to play.  Problem is that everybody has them as an 8 or 9 seed, so they would have a fairly tough first game, and then if they win they'll face a top seed.

0 for 14 in a stretch in the first half. Ouch. 

Um, 6'10 6'10 6'11 in their front court. Yet they dance around the perimeter (yes, I get Jontay Porter is good from outside, and should continue doing so, but..) and I think not take advantage of their foul plagued big men. 

I don't know. I'll call Cuonzo tomorrow and tell him what I think.

Oh, BTW. Did you fellas see Colin Sexton?  ROLL TIDE!