Creeks to Run

bassfisher2017

I was idling out of Birch Creek one time last year and hit a stump right smack dab in the middle of the creek. I was sitting there thinking i was ok to go ahead and gas it and wham!! GPS units usually have a 3 ft margin of error on both sides of your trail right? Thats 6 ft!! Gotta sit down and relax. Take your time. Enjoy the beautiful scenery. Just my two cents boys. 

58 minutes ago, Smithvillesteve said:

I was idling out of Birch Creek one time last year and hit a stump right smack dab in the middle of the creek. I was sitting there thinking i was ok to go ahead and gas it and wham!! GPS units usually have a 3 ft margin of error on both sides of your trail right? Thats 6 ft!! Gotta sit down and relax. Take your time. Enjoy the beautiful scenery. Just my two cents boys. 

I don't know where you got the 3' margin of error.  If you remember where, I'd like to read about it.  My units normally say +-20'.  I do have a Magellan hand held that is supposed to be accurate to 9'.

21 hours ago, MrGiggles said:

I always unlock my outboard near timber so that if I do hit a tree with the skeg or lower unit it will just trim up instead of trying to rip off the transom. Only applicable on tiller motors though.

I have always wondered why the smaller tilt trim motors don't have the breakaway type thing so it will pop up if you hit something.  It's always a shock when you have unlocked your tiller motor and shift to reverse, first thought is usually WTF, then it oh yeah I remember.

Would hesitate to run a big prop rig in a maze of wood, but would not hesitate in a small boat with a trolling motor or paddle power. Don't ski rope a canoe behind a big boat. It will want to go airborne and capsize. Tie it in the big boat.

Dutch: I will have to go back and read the manual for the Garmin Etrex 20, a hand held unit i bought several years ago for my Canada fishing trip. I thought it said 3 ft margin of error but not sure. Its a 1 hr boat ride from the ramp to the island where we stay. There are a couple of bad spots along the way. I watched a buddy of mine from Wisconsin that i was following hit a rock and sheer off his lower unit. Needless to say, I am "puckered up" pretty good on that deal!!!

I know what you mean Steve.  I was at Pom with a friend going into a large cove.  I cautioned him about stickups.  He told me he had been going in and out of it for 30 years and knew where it was safe.  We hit 2 stumps on the way in and were out toward the middle.

On 2/1/2018 at 11:15 AM, bassfisher2017 said:

what creeks can you run?

Googer, Hawker , Orleans Trail , Mutton, Masters sure i forgot a few. Not much timber in these . Just watch yourself with the water being low . 

At the present lake level and very little water flowing out of the creek arms, it would be pretty futile to run to the back of the creeks if you in fact have fishing in mind.  If your not too well acquainted with the lake the primary feeder arms in the order of volume are Big Sac, Lil Sac, Turnback, Sons, Maze, and Turkey creek. Birch, Greaser and Googer and Price have limited flow under wet conditions. At present it would be a nerve racking chore to get as far as 39 on Sons and 160 on Turnback. When I was there Thursday water temp on the main lake was 36 and the majority of shad were hanging in 55' and deeper water.