Shell Knob - 5/25-5/28

Steve Ladd

• Members

Hello,

First time poster. I’m heading down to the Shell Knob area this weekend for the holiday weekend. I usually get out right at sunrise to fish for a few hours. Any suggestions or tips on some good spots around there or anything else you can pass my way?  Thanks!

Welcome Steve,

Go out and throw the Whopper Plopper at Turn Around Island at the mouth of the Kings River and on any of the flats and long points in the same area and up the White River away.

I'm going to guess you will have from 5:30 till about 7 each morning before your run over, flipped over or washed up on the beach.  Make the best of it and try not to get mad as the wake boats drive between you and the shoreline

It may not really be that badB)

Good Luck

• Root Admin

I guess a grub swam on about any gravel bank is producing lots of fish.  I just wish I could pull myself away from these HUGE brown trout and go over and fight a few cousin brownies up there!

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

• Members

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I will be staying right on Needles Eye Rd which is in the cove right across from the island. Looking forward to catching some. I’ll stop by and say if I see you out. 

Welcome Steve.....The Shell Knob area is awesome for sure. I have been fishing there regularly since '74. Mr. Babler is right, top water is amazing this time of year. Go early......

Nice point Champ.  What a lot of folks do not realize is that the big K's are still trying to spawn, especially in that Shell Knob area.   A few years ago at one of the locations that 196 marked we caught K's trying to spawn on that long gravel runnout.  When you released them you had to be mighty careful as they were nesting in 15 to 20 feet in that clear water.

Our old lake biologist said the spawn on TR usually ends with the full moon in June so there is still some baby making going on.

Good Luck