Back to the Creeks, Finally.

Its been almost 3 years since I waded a stream, fishing for the warm water species.  Since the cancer and treatments, my fishing has been boats and a yak trip or two.  My strength and stamina, balance and agility, and overall trust of my capabilities have been weak.  But this summer has been the closest I have been to being normal.  The rivers and schedule just would not let me do it.

Hot weekend with not much going on, spending time with the oldest Grandson.  We hit the local stream at 3 for a little walk and fly fishing.  He had been chomping at the heels to try out his flies we tyed back in the winter.  We had a good time, hit a stream that I had not been on since 2015.  Floods had changed it.  We waded around and caught a few small ones.  But he was excited.  This is his new favorite way to fish.  And it has always been mine.

His mind was more on the wading and getting wet part, picking up mussel shells, finding a swimming hole, or skipping rocks.  But flyfishing is his favorite type of fishing now.  And he wants more of it.

P8090007.JPG

P8090012.JPG

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

Glad to see you out and about again Jd. It takes time to recover from something as devasting as cancer and the surgeries and treatments that follow. This is my 7th year out and it took me about the same amount of time as you. Balance and agility are still my biggest obstacles. Your grandson looks as if he is right at home on the creek with the fly rod. He may have just discovered a life long hobby. I went through months of physical therapy, but I'm here to tell you, that wading and fishing is the best therapy for both the body and the mind. Keep them reports coming.

1 hour ago, jdmidwest said:

P8090012.JPG

Glad that you are able to get back out creek fishing. It's also one of my favorite places to fish as well. Your grandson looks proud of his fly caught fish. Congrats to you both!

Just watch out he may become a microfisherman😁.

From what we had to choose from, it looks like we may be forced to microfish. 

Streams are getting smaller and shallower in my neck of the woods.

Ten years ago, I would be floating a kayak on this one.  Not now.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson