Buying used boat from private sellers. QUESTIONS

I am still looking to buy another used boat. Ive been pretty lucky with the past 4 used boats but I did get burned on a used motorcycle once... SO now I am older & more cautious with my retirement money.  Is the boat version of Carfax worth it ?

There is a company called boathistoryreport.com that is very similar to carfax but for boats. They provide you with a history report (their "carfax") and it contains information like if the boat was in an accident, salvaged, damaged in a hurricane and several other features.

Not to self... Check vin numbers twice VERY carefully (dont ask how I know this).

Thanks for your replies. Will

15 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

How would a place like "

" aquire information ?

Unless there was an insurance claim or a police report there is no way to compile data on ANYTHING boat/motor related.

Kind of what I thought.....  Thanks..

3 hours ago, Will S. said:

I am still looking to buy another used boat. Ive been pretty lucky with the past 4 used boats but I did get burned on a used motorcycle once... SO now I am older & more cautious with my retirement money.  Is the boat version of Carfax worth it ?

There is a company called boathistoryreport.com that is very similar to carfax but for boats. They provide you with a history report (their "carfax") and it contains information like if the boat was in an accident, salvaged, damaged in a hurricane and several other features.

Not to self... Check vin numbers twice VERY carefully (dont ask how I know this).

Thanks for your replies. Will

Yeah, as mentioned, it will only show things like a total loss or major repair that was claimed by insurance.

Some of the bigger marinas may report to them for smaller repairs, but I wouldn't count on it.

-Austin

7 hours ago, MrGiggles said:

Some of the bigger marinas may report to them for smaller repairs, but I wouldn't count on it.

The bigger they are, the less likely they are.....unless somebody is paying them to do it.   If it takes 10 minutes that's $26.50 per report.

13 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

They aren’t reporting squat that’s not a warranty claim.  

They darn sure aren't gonna spend time reporting warranty work, it only pays 1/3 of their normal shop rate. 😏

Besides, sharing warranty details with an outside rating/survey entity would be a good way to lose your dealership to someone across the highway. 😅

By turning in the warranty information to get paid they are reporting. Places like Carfax aren't expecting every shop to report the work performed. They get that info from warranty claims and insurance claims. Joe the mechanic isn't expected to call and tell them they changed the spark plugs. 

1 hour ago, Flysmallie said:

By turning in the warranty information to get paid they are reporting.

Reporting to the manufacturer, yes.   But of what benefit to the manufacturer is it to share their shortcomings to a place that intends to share it with potential buyers?