2020 Garden Thread.

jdmidwest

On 7/7/2020 at 9:37 AM, ness said:

I limed the garden spot 2 years ago.   And put down crushed oyster shells this year.   Can't get behind calcium deficiency.   Have never had the problem before in the same garden spot.   Water like I always have.   So can't get behind too much moisture either.  Didn't fertilize this year either so too much nitrogen doesn't make sense to me either.  Pure mystery to this hillbilly.   And there is fruit.   Just stunted.  The yellow squash right beside the zucchini is fine.   Tomatoes are loaded so things are getting pollinated.   Go figure. Will still try the hand pollination deal and report back.

36 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

I limed the garden spot 2 years ago.   And put down crushed oyster shells this year.   Can't get behind calcium deficiency.   Have never had the problem before in the same garden spot.   Water like I always have.   So can't get behind too much moisture either.  Didn't fertilize this year either so too much nitrogen doesn't make sense to me either.  Pure mystery to this hillbilly.   And there is fruit.   Just stunted.  The yellow squash right beside the zucchini is fine.   Tomatoes are loaded so things are getting pollinated.   Go figure. Will still try the hand pollination deal and report back.

My squash were doing the same thing early, but now seem to be sering and staying enough to harvest.  Some of the little ones just turned brown and fell off, some simply vanished into thin air.  Although last night I did see a pair of green eyes in the leaves and it disappeared before I could get close enough to identify, bit there have been some young coons around, maybe they are helping themselves to my squash.  

I picked a big zucchini this morning and a couple of nice yellow squash.  I guess I need to start talking tough about the cucumbers.  Lots and lots of blooms but no baby pickles yet.  HEY! Cucumbers!  How would you like it if I started to hand pollinate you little geeks?

Anybody that comes by my house leaves with some small zukes and yellow squash.  With the exception of h UPS guy, he just tosses boxes intone porch and runs.  My cukes were only planted a week ago in a double mineral tub system, so far coming up nicely and looking good.  Sadly the dill weed will have plenty of time to go to seed and regrow before being needed.

1 hour ago, Terrierman said:

I picked a big zucchini this morning and a couple of nice yellow squash.  I guess I need to start talking tough about the cucumbers.  Lots and lots of blooms but no baby pickles yet.  HEY! Cucumbers!  How would you like it if I started to hand pollinate you little geeks?

I think they see you coming and pollinate themselves. I know I would 😄

John

Storms last night are going to keep me busy tomorrow standing back up my corn... worst part is everything down was either just starting to pollinate or only had a week of tassel with silk just beginning to show. Both me and the Cream & Sugar have the sads today :ouch...it-hurts:

493FF1C6-DA7C-4928-A9A3-7D7607AC488B.jpeg

19 hours ago, ness said:

I think they see you coming and pollinate themselves. I know I would 😄

They must have.  Picked 4 yesterday and there are little ones everywhere.  Anybody else got a problem they think might be solved via an online threat from me?  Won't charge anything, or guarantee any specific result.

Hidden cucumbers. How in the world did we miss some. thumbnail_0711200755_HDR.jpg

Now i decided to take an official measurement instead of guessing. Tallest one 7 foot 5 inches from tub dirt. Crazy and plants are loaded. There are a couple rows we cannot walk through. Going to crawl in between and reach up to pick. Had first BLT for breakfast this morning.

thumbnail_0711200756.jpgthumbnail_0711200756_HDR (1).jpgthumbnail_0711200757.jpgthumbnail_0711200757a.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

On 7/8/2020 at 12:09 PM, ness said:

Later, at @Terrierman's garden:

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 12.08.27 PM.png

:D 

I have 7 hives in the yard and my stuff does not get pollinated for some reason.  They seem to find bigger and better things to work.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson